1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR 2 for January

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ggsh, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ggsh

ggsh New commenter

Please can you advise? A post has been advertised locally for a TLR 2 job - 2a (+£2781) to begin Jan 2012. I believe I fulfil all criteria and am presently working on my supporting statement. I am struggling to fit everything into 2 pages. Would it be acceptable for such a post to write 2 and a bit, or 2 and a half pages or would my application be discounted straight away? Also, what is the etiquette re the position of the supporting statement - pasted on to the application form in the appropriate place, or a reference made on the application form and the supporting statement attached??? If attached, should it be in the format of a supporting letter or statement? I might put a cover sheet at the beginning of the application just to say what is enclosed. I am assuming the supporting letter/statement should go after the application form - ie. 1. sheet stating what is enclosed; 2. application form; 3. supporting letter/statement.
    I have another question... I have read advice that says to number pages and put my name on every page. With electronic appication forms this presents a problem, unless handwritten - so do I handwrite it? But other advice says the best shortlisting practise involves 'blind' shortlisting, with no mention of each applicant's name, so what to do? Handwrite name and page number on each page? Do not handwrite name and page number on each page? Paste supporting statement or send as separate document - and if sent as separate document send as letter or statement???
    There should be a manual or something to standardise everything!

2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

I don't know about a manual, but the **** and bull that schools get involved in with job applications certainly needs sorting out, as a good half of it is completely unnecessary at application stage!
    This is of course because most school staff have never had to be involved in the world of business and commerce, where there isn't time for unnecessary drivel when employing new staff.
    However, that's another story...
    My honest opinion is that most of the questions you ask are ones that you should, if you are applying for a leadership role, be able to answer yourself. Don't get too obsessive about details: put the application in as best as you can and leave it at that.
    But for what it's worth, I shouldn't go over the two sides of A4 in a supporting statement: I can't imagine what you are writing that couldn't be cut to fit that spec. If precis and summary are not your strengths, maybe a colleague in your English department would help?
    As to position, provided each part of the application is clear, it doesn't matter in the slightest, as unless you get someone who is a totally retentive nerd assessing the applications such things should be irrelevant. (There are a few such people, of course - but you wouldn't want to work in their school anyway!)
    There is absolutely no need to put name and page number on forms submitted electronically, so don't bother. If you handwrite the form, it is helpful to do so, neatly and unobtrusively, just in case the sheets become separated.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip: Good idea to numbere questions in a long post - makes it easier for all!
    Q1 Your application is unlikely to be discounted because of 2 plus pages, but best to keep it to 2 only. Make sure that you are telling the Big Story, the main leadership points, and not getting bogged down in detail. Your Executive summary shouldcover a lot of the nitty-gritty.
    Q2 not a good idea to leave a section of the form blank, or worse still, saying "See letter". My suggestion would be to put the E.S. in the spece on the form.
    Q3 A letter of application on its own, or a stetement plus a cover letter. See FAQs for difference!
    Q4 Number them where possible in case somebody drops a whole pile of pages when going to photocopier. But if its an electronic form and tricky then don't.
    Q5 That's up to the office there to mask names.
    (Sorry - so many questions here I am giving up!)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. ggsh

ggsh New commenter

Thank you - all much clearer now (on this issue...)