1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Titus Andronicus

Discussion in 'English' started by sunshine1823, May 27, 2011.

1. i'm doing macbeth with faustus

titus and ... the white devil? greed/ambition/nasty people?
    lady macbeth ... nasty women??

2. sorry, for some reason myparagraps haven't appeared.

i am doing macbeth with faustus.

you could do titus with the white devil and focus on greed ambition nasty people ...

you could do it with macbeth and focus on nasty women/lady m/power corrupting ...

3. Wicked women might work well with a comparison of Tamora and Lady Macbeth with a bit of Margaret of Anjou thrown in? The Rape of Lucrece might be good as a comparison of the rape of Lavinia in Titus. Race issues in Titus Andronicus and Othello?

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

A quick look at the spec seems to indicate that two plays must be studied from the specified dates, so 'Lucrece' would be no good.
    If it's a strong group, I'd go for revenge as a theme and look at one of the following:
    'The White Devil'
    'Hamlet'
    'The Revenger's Tragedy'
    'The Merchant of Venice' or 'The Jew of Malta'
    'The Spanish Tragedy'
    'The Changeling'

5. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

It's a classic revenge tragedy - any of those which gruoch listed look excellent and would lend themselves to discussions on their concept of genre, as well as character etc. I initially thought that "Merchant of Venice" would be a little more difficult to integrate, but it certainly has elements of the genre as well.

6. gruoch

Original sub-title: The mo?t excellent Hi?torie of the Merchant of Venice. With the
    extreame crueltie of Shylock the Iewe towards the ?ayd Merchant, in
    cutting a iu?t pound of his fle?h: and the obtayning of Portia by the
    choy?e of three che?ts
    The structure of 'Merchant' conforms precisely to the Elizabethan idea of a comedy, but a 21st century view may well consider it to be tragic. It certainly has elements of revenge tragedy, though I would argue that this is not its central function.

7. These all sound brillian. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think because Titus is a reletively short play I could do another Shakespeare one for comparison. I just am walking blind at the minute, not having taught the spec or the play before.
    Thanks Again
    :)

8. That was suggested to me. How have you found teaching it in the past? I know macbeth inside out for GCSE but not Faustus.

9. gruoch

Really?
    I have taught both at AS where the theme was tragedy. I love Faustus and think it's hard to better the final soliloquy anywhere. Were I going to pair them any other way, I might have problems.
    Faustus is certainly greedy, but his ambition is limited.
    Macbeth is neither greedy nor ambitious*. He always knows he will fail should he carry through his ideas.
    *Yes - I know. But you have to accept the notion of the fatal flaw in the tragic hero for that to work.

10. So if I were to compare Faustus with Macbeth - you would suggest that focusing on tragedy as the main theme for comparison?
    Could I be a pain and ask for a sample of a lesson or a resource you would use to teach a extract from Faustus to help me get started?

11. Titus for an A Level text? That's hard going.

Titus works very well with Hamlet and Macbeth when comparing Gothic tropes. (Gothic as in the literary movement and not the Germanic tribe).

Titus would also work well with something like Dracula or Wuthering Heights too, if you wanted to look at Otherness and characters that threaten patriarchal order/society.

12. Pedant alert: you cannot speak of 'Gothic as in the literary movement' if the objects of your study are 'Hamlet' and 'Macbeth' because Walpole didn't write 'The Castle of Otranto' until 1764. The way AQA has tortured literary history to meet the needs of their A-level specification is intellectually substandard and does little to benefit students who might be interested in the subject at A-level: rather than getting a sense of writing in and of its time, everything is stuffed into a little box of genre characteristics. Fine, if you're studying Lewis, read Milton; if you're exploring Shelley, go back to Marlowe; if you want to read Wuthering Heights, start with some revenge tragedy; but don't pretend that Chaucer can be treated of in the same sentence as Stoker.

13. gruoch

But he frequently is. The role of 'women in the gothic' comes to mind. I always give extra marks to candidates who state that anything pre 'Castle of Otranto' isn't actually gothic.
    gruoch - pedant.