1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Titles & results

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 25, 2016.

?

Which relationship do you feel is likely to hold in any Primary &or Secondary school,?

1. Titles, high: Results, poor

60.0%
  2. Titles, low: Results, good

20.0%
  3. Titles, high: Results, good

20.0%
  4. Titles, low: Results, poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

While the poll question is general, the following question is particular: In the school where you work or that attended by your children, Primary or Secondary, do you see a relationship between test &or examination results and the number of its titled teachers e.g. managers, leaders, vices, deputies, officers & responsibilities?

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

In the last five years, I've worked for both the lowest and the highest achieving schools (raw results-wise) in the city. In both, the number of Leaders Of, Curriculum Leaders of, Lead Teacher of, Learning Coordinators of, Deputies, Assistant HTs, and more recently CEOs and all their attendent money-suckers, has been about the same, pro-rata'd for student roll. When an inner-city school I once worked at had to shed a bunch of staff, there were only six teachers on plain old mainscale.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. Vince_Ulam

CEOs, yes, I forgot those. Executive this, that and the other.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I've just voted for 'high-titles-low results' as that has been my experience, but I've just wondered about the size of the school.

Secondaries can vary from 500 to over 2,000 pupils in surrounding LEAs here, so must be a factor.

(Since I started teaching in 1980, there have always been grumbles of 'Too many Chiefs etc............but there are now ridiculous layers of 'line managers imo )

6. Vince_Ulam

Yes.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think it also depends on types of title: Director of, executive whatever, assistant and so on are not good signs.

cissy3 likes this.