1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Titch stories

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by clarecrs, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I am using 'Titch' as a starting point next term - having searched on here, all the suggested websites seem to have gone!!

Has anyone got any good ideas / resources?
    I would be SOOOO grateful.
    Thank you

2. I am using 'Titch' as a starting point next term - having searched on here, all the suggested websites seem to have gone!!

Has anyone got any good ideas / resources?
    I would be SOOOO grateful.
    Thank you

3. That's a pain if there's not much around but what you could do is ...(Lots of the 'bleedin obvious' I expect)
    Collections of Titch stories for children to browse as well as the basis for different learning opportunities.
    Can children relate to Titch's experiences? family? link to their experience ie Tidy Titch: Other examples of aliteration ie red rocket, are they good at tidying? at home? in the classroom? What's their favourite toy? Developing descriptive language. sets of objects for them to tidy away. Where do they go? (caring for equipment)
    Titch: Compare sizes, language associated with measures, long/er/tall/er/short, opposites ie high/low, big/little. Families do children have older/younger sisters. Compare two/three children for height.
    You'll soon grow into them Titch: new baby, sharing clothes, sorting clothes ie socks to make pairs. Exploring zips, labels in clothes, what information is on the label? why? words associated with families ie brother sister, mum, dad, aunt etc - could become quite a list.
    Colour photo copy pictures from book cut out characters, mount on card, laminate to make story props for children to retell story (put magnetic tape on back to use on board) . Labels for children to match different characters. Ive scanned in Titch and You'll soon grow into them for use on IWB. PM me your email and I'll try and send it but its a big file.
    Health issues ie what do children need to grow ? Looking outside for examples of growth. Baby clothes or pictures of children as babies. I scanned them in and we played guess the baby.
    Pat Hutchins is a good illustrator for colour mixing. Children could try and match her colours.
    Pictures and labels of their family.
    Segmenting and blending Titch ..... I dare you!!!!!!
    Hope this helps Eve

4. I've used Titch as an introduction to a comparing measures activity.
    I take in food for 3 'packed lunches' and tell the children we're going to help Titch's mum to sort them into Titch's, Pete's and Mary's lunches by comparing their weights. Pete will have the heaviest etc.
    For instance we compare an apple, a banana and an orange, 3 different kinds of crisps snacks, 3 drinks, 3 dairy products, 3 cereal/fruit bars. Sandwiches would just be too complicated!!
    We use a balance to compare two items at a time, so there's lots of problem solving and reasoning to be got out of it. We then record our findings on a chart/table, so there's a bit of data handling in there too.
    In the past I've used 3 toys to start us off together as a class then used 5 different kinds of lunch stuff for group work.
    The children love that it's real stuff and I have a nice lunch for 3 days (plus sandwiches of course!)
    Hope you like it!

5. Thank you so much for all your ideas - it is kind of you.
    I would love to see the bits you've scanned, Eve - I would be really grateful.
    My email is clarecr@btinternet.com
    Thank you.
    Clare