1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Titanic Non-chronological report writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rosieandjim, May 2, 2011.

1. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I would really appreciate some help with this as seem to be getting rather bogged down and have now just completley hit a brick wall. My Year 2 class are looking at the Titanic as our topic. We are going to be writing non-chronological reports. The children have opportunities to look at quite a number of books and we will do some internet research to gather information, but this is always a problem for my poor readers and l do not know how best to approach this with them. Also when we did information writing l gave them sub headings to structure their note taking and information gathering. I even wrote very simple information sheets for them to take notes from and then trasfer this to their own information sheets.
    My real problem this time is l cannot dec ide what would be the best headings for their Titanic writing. I know that l need to keep it simple, but l am just stuck. Sorry to sound bit pathetic but l would really really appreciate some help. Thank you.

2. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I would really appreciate some help with this as seem to be getting rather bogged down and have now just completley hit a brick wall. My Year 2 class are looking at the Titanic as our topic. We are going to be writing non-chronological reports. The children have opportunities to look at quite a number of books and we will do some internet research to gather information, but this is always a problem for my poor readers and l do not know how best to approach this with them. Also when we did information writing l gave them sub headings to structure their note taking and information gathering. I even wrote very simple information sheets for them to take notes from and then trasfer this to their own information sheets.
    My real problem this time is l cannot dec ide what would be the best headings for their Titanic writing. I know that l need to keep it simple, but l am just stuck. Sorry to sound bit pathetic but l would really really appreciate some help. Thank you.

3. Hi, did you manage to do it? I am too writing a non-chronoligcal report about the Titanic. Do you have any resources/plans I can have, it would be a great help as I am starting from scratch and we don´t have many books to go from in our school!
    Thanks.

4. Please don't take this as a personal criticism but why have you chosen this topic for Year 2s? I know others have as well (there have been other threads) but in my view the topic is not suitable for this age group (upper ks2 possibly) and, thankfully, well out of their understanding levels (which may be why you are finding it tricky to structure?)
    Sorry - I know that's very unhelpful. For our reports, we first learnt the features by writing about something they knew really well (our school). Then we looked at reports about sharks and dinosaurs, learnt information (headings what they eat, how they move etc) and they wrote their own. Hopefully, they should be well placed to learn and then write about nocturnal animals for SATs.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did this topic last term with year 2. They loved it and did lots of extra bits at home with parents. Parents at consultation evening were really enthusiastic and praised the school for studying such an exciting and topical subject.

They wrote a recount of their trip, postcards home, senses poems when they arrived on the ship, a report for the US government about what went wrong. I suppose this last one could be considered a non-chron report. We looked at the 5Ws and they thought of several questions to ask for each W which we put on a large sheet of paper. Then they chose some of the questions to answer in their report.

There are lots and lots and lots of excellent resources on ******, tpet and primarytreasurechest