1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Titanic...anyone taught this in KS1 before?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 25, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

After reading lots of bits on here, and getting FB updates from tpet I'm excited about teaching the 'titanic' next half term. My HT hasn't said no, so that is more or less yes (I think). Literacy (and ideally maths) need to link to it.

So now I just need some fabulous ideas that will inspire and excite the children as well as convince my Ht that I am a fabulous teacher and my class are making excellent progress. Which is where you lot come in... :)

Any and all ideas gratefully received please.

2. I found it uncomfortable the amount of talk of death that came about.
    There are SO many exciting topics that children LOVE that I just wouldn't bother doing it again - Space, Dinosaurs, Animals of any description....Great Fire of London is a better event based history topic, mine loved that one.

3. And it was a bit lacking in the "fun teaching" department.....big ship, crashed into iceberg, lots of people died. Thats one lesson sorted - what about the rest of the term?

4. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I've done one lesson on it today as part of polar region topic. I can't imagine doing anymore than that. I moved it forward than originally planned as linked it to cruise ship in Italy at the mo

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No never heard of it, but am looking at the website now, and it looks good. Thank you.

Lots of mine, especially the boys, really like all these sort of historical events. Role play into writing is one of the things we use a lot in my school, so yeps will be doing that.

Thanks nick909. Forgot to think about science links, but we are doing forces next term and so it will work beautifully. Conscience alley does work in KS1, my class can easily manage, though they don't go on to write a discussion text as such.
    Eh? The Titanic wasn't anywhere near a polar region? Ok it hit an iceberg, but that's about it.

I appreciate the concerns, but I know my class will be fine with this. They'll be fab and I'll teach it in a sensitive manner.

I'm thinking about spending time building the ship and how it was for the workers, being passengers getting ready for the journey, being on the ship (as crew, captain, passengers in different classes) before the disaster, then the actual disaster, then finishing with the happy ending stories. I'm not sure I can do all that in a lesson or two. the 4-5 weeks I'll have seems about right.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG]
    a lovely true story suitable for younger children

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Brilliant!

But not too many editions on Amazon...or not new ones in my price range!

8. Hi
    I am teaching the topic of Titanic at the moment, for the whole term. Im happy to e mail you some plans? Ideas?!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd love you to. Or you could upload them to TES resources.

That is so kind, thank you. I'll pm you.

10. There's a few copies listed on eBay, as new, for £10.

11. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Sansoms titanic adventure- lovely book

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Excellent idea. One always has to adapt but it helps to have a starting point.

13. Hi do you still have titanic plans? Am really stuck for ideas!

14. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

In over 30 yearsof teaching,The Titanic was the best topic I have ever taught (Y2) The kids loved it. They wrote diaries, did character studies, role play, displays, made tickets, drama, wrote out menus for the last meal, 'applied' for jobs on board ship, wrote memoirs, did interviews, wrote newspapers, drew diagrams, studied maps.... There are loads of resources online. The kids were absolutely enthralled, and would bring in lego models of the titanic they had made at home. Some were huge! The parents got very engaged with it too. It doesn't in any way have to focus just on the fact that so many people died. That's just one aspect of an amazing story that the kids absolutely 'bought into' because it actually happened. Enjoy!!!

15. tictactoe1

tictactoe1 New commenter

I've done this topic twice with Year 1. Once as a TA in one school and the other time teaching it to my own Year 1 class. It really captured their imaginations! Don't let the deaths scare you off! All history features death!

With Maths I linked it to time, we then made our own Titanic-esqu antique clocks. We also did fractions (related to food), sharing (lifeboats) and general problem solving.