1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tired, fed up and depressed.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by glitzygirl81, Jan 13, 2012.

1. glitzygirl81

glitzygirl81 New commenter

I'm one of the many teachers out of work at the moment and struggling to find a temporary or permanent job. I qualified 7 years ago. I cannot go out on day to day supply because I have yet to complete my induction year. I moved to Manchester few months ago to move in with my partner. I didnt really want to moved from the area where I live, but as my boyfriend was the 1 in full time work, it seemed the right thing to do. Supply has been rubbish since I moved. I'm living off savings and the support of my Partner. I am so down and fed up. I do volunteering in school 1 day a week. (to keep my foot in the door). I have a few friends over here (a couple I went to uni with) No family nearby. I'm not happy at all. It doesn't help that my partners parents live round the corner. And his mum keeps ringing, interfering, wanting to know when Im/ not working. Where my money is coming from to pay the rent (as she doesnt want her son paying 4 me). This happened the day we moved in, so it ruined a happy occasion. I no longer answer my phone to her or go round without my partner. When it happend, my fella wanted to go round and have words with his mum. But I said it was fine as I didnt want to cause trouble. But every time she rings asking me to go over I have panic attacks incase she has a go again. My partner has been lovely and supportive. But I find getting up in the morning so hard. Ive suffered depression twice in the past and beaten it. But I really dont want to go bak on tablets. Sorry to go on. It's just tough at the moment feeling very vulnerable. Thx for reading this post.

Glitzy

2. glitzygirl81

I'm one of the many teachers out of work at the moment and struggling to find a temporary or permanent job. I qualified 7 years ago. I cannot go out on day to day supply because I have yet to complete my induction year. I moved to Manchester few months ago to move in with my partner. I didnt really want to moved from the area where I live, but as my boyfriend was the 1 in full time work, it seemed the right thing to do. Supply has been rubbish since I moved. I'm living off savings and the support of my Partner. I am so down and fed up. I do volunteering in school 1 day a week. (to keep my foot in the door). I have a few friends over here (a couple I went to uni with) No family nearby. I'm not happy at all. It doesn't help that my partners parents live round the corner. And his mum keeps ringing, interfering, wanting to know when Im/ not working. Where my money is coming from to pay the rent (as she doesnt want her son paying 4 me). This happened the day we moved in, so it ruined a happy occasion. I no longer answer my phone to her or go round without my partner. When it happend, my fella wanted to go round and have words with his mum. But I said it was fine as I didnt want to cause trouble. But every time she rings asking me to go over I have panic attacks incase she has a go again. My partner has been lovely and supportive. But I find getting up in the morning so hard. Ive suffered depression twice in the past and beaten it. But I really dont want to go bak on tablets. Sorry to go on. It's just tough at the moment feeling very vulnerable. Thx for reading this post.

Glitzy

3. Sounds like your struggling at the moment. Mums have to have a moan about something, try not to take it to heart. I have been lucky enough not to have suffered from depression and can only sympathise with you. Hope something job wise turns up for you but on a big plus you have a partner who is loving and supportive. Thats got to be worth something?

4. glitzygirl81

Thank u so much for replying to my post billygoat. Yeah struggling so much at the moment. But still trying to put the happy have on to those around us. I used to have such a gr8 friendship with his mum b4 we moved in together. But now I avoid her as much as I can. Its not easy for my partner as he is in the middle. But supports me 100 % and agrees his mum over stepped the mark asking such personal questions. He really wanted to say something to her. But I didnt want to cause a family rift. But the stress she has cause and still causes on top of everything is really getting me down. The fact my Partner is loving an supportive really does help. It is so worth it. I just don't want him to get fed up of me being down all the time. I've beated depression twice. I know I can do it again. (eventually). Thank u again for taking the time to repond to my message. Much appreciated.

Glitzy x

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hang on to that glitzygirl. You know, as a result of your previous experience, that it takes time. You'll recognise the 'warning signals' earlier & be able to implement all those coping strategies which worked for you before.
    Unemployment is known for causing depression, so try to keep applying, even if you're not getting anywhere, it's all activity which will help aid in your recovery. When things are really bad and you can't face things, be kind to yourself, don't 'push it' or make unrealistic expectations.
    Take care!

6. I think you are doing all the right things. especially the voluntary work to keep you in touch with schools. Something will come along sooner or later. IT WILL.
    So keep yourself busy and organise your day to have people around you. And don't listen to the voices in your head between the hours of 12 and 5 am !
    ((((glitzy)))))))

7. I could only get a teaching job in another town and then only two days a week. I had to take a lower-paid position for the other three days because that's all I could get. If you can't find work as a teacher, could you consider teaching assistant or cover supervisor? Supply agencies who don't want teachers because they're too expensive can often find work for cover supervisors. At least if you're in a school, you're earning and on the grapevine.
    Hope you feel better soon.