1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tired brain dead Year 2 teacher needs your advice!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by star17, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Hello,

Sorry everyone I'm feeling very tired and brain is not functioning this evening so just wanted to see if anybody had advice about teaching this Maths LO tomorrow: I can find out if something is longer or shorter than a metre.

Would you basically just have out some objects and pupils estimate which will be longer/shorter than a metre and then get them to think of their own objects to measure and then check using a metre stick and record in a table?

Concerns are

a) Not very exciting

b) Want to extend HA not sure how - am moving on to measuring accurately using a ruler later in the week. Not sure if should start that earlier with them?

c) Concerned about having groups of children wandering around the class measuring items with large sticks as have important visitor doing learning walks around the school!

Any advice much appreciated.

2. I think they'll love it! Could you extend by asking the HA to estimate how much bigger/smaller than a metre the items are?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I always do measuring outside. More room and the noise is/appears to be less.

4. Thanks for your responses. Yes I think outside would be easier. Going outside for English too so fingers crossed good weather!

5. Sounds great, could extend with how many metres long is the playground/ corridor x

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

With my HA year 2s I went straight into measuring. I knew they would be able to tell me objects longer / shorter than a meter and so it would be counter productive to go over it again. I gave mine lots of objects and a ruler and a meter stick and they had to decide which was the most appropriate to measure the object with.

7. Thank you all so much, really touched by all the replies. Was just having one of those brain dead nights last night. Used a combination of ideas from this post and went really well. Kids all engaged and made progress. Thanks again.