1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tired and throwing in the towel. Goodbye ... for now.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lola_25, May 12, 2017.

1. Hi All

I think the time has come for me to walk away from my job with no job to go to. All happiness has been drained from my soul and after the past few years I cannot continue like this. I believe the time has come to say goodbye.

I have run many scenarios through my head regarding how I could change my situation to a happier one. I have already changed schools, been promoted, made some great friends and teach some fab students but it is safe to say I am exhausted, tired, drained with nothing more to give. I feel like my well of positivity has run dry of resources.

I am afraid as I have always worked and have responsibilities but I must remain hopeful that a happier life can exist. I have some savings and then I will have to find a job. Possibly after a break I will be back, after all I will always have the qualification and time spent in service.

emerald52 and Tinycat1234 like this.
  2. youmakemesmile

youmakemesmile New commenter

Every best wish for your future

3. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

I felt like that 2 years ago. I had a break from secondary teaching, worked part time as a TA with infants and did a bit of tutoring. I needed time to find my energy as teaching had exhausted me

But I have just gone back on a 0.6 contract. This suits me so much that I can relax, spend time with the family and still find the energy and enthusiasm for the lessons I teach.

Maybe a break to get your mojo back and then if financially you can manage on part time salary, I would recommend it.

Tinycat1234 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I couldn't have coped full-time.

It's amazing the difference it makes to work just 3 days a week.

Best wishes. I do sympathise.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Benchster

Benchster New commenter

Best of luck. Reading some of the threads on here, you are clearly in a privileged position to be able to do so. I for one am very jealous(in a nice way!!). I wish you well. It's becoming thankless job in every way.

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  6. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Good luck and all the best for your future - do not regret it!

Shedman likes this.
  7. alan1

alan1 New commenter

Yes go for it!! I'm doing the same after 23 years of teaching and believe me if you can afford it with your savings, the thought of retraining for another career is so motivational.

Tinycat1234 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think we all fell like that sometime.

But be aware - it isn't easy and in the interim period between leaving one job and getting another it can be very stressful

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm very sorry to hear you feel like this. My sympathies.

Walking away and having breathing space sounds like the way forward for now. In a few years you may wish to return, or you may not. Who knows? But if you are becoming ill, then you need to put yourself first.

And there is a world elsewhere...

10. n7esd

n7esd New commenter

Lola how are you doing now? I did the same as you and it was the best decision I ever made.

cb324, Alldone, pepper5 and 1 other person like this.
  11. claredrakeford

claredrakeford New commenter

Best of luck :)