1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tiramisu - tell me all about it please - advice needed

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by PlymouthMaid, Dec 21, 2010.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Hi peeps, I have a tiramisu craving and want to make it for a Boxing Day dessert. So far so good, have googled various recipes and although it is authentic, i do not want raw egg in mine. Neither do I want those hideous bought hard sponge finger things. So, will it work ok with marscapone and no egginess and what sort of sponges should I have? Should i make a plain white sponge cake and chop it up or is that the wrong kind of cake?

Also will instant coffee do the job?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I haven't got my recipe on here, but the hard sponge fingers do soften when dipped in the coffee and Tia Maria.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

You need the Savoiardi (hard sponge fingers) - dip them in a booze-fortified espresso and the soften up amazingly.
    The creamy mix should be a mix of mascarpone, sugar, vanilla, egg yolk and whisked egg white so you get the lightness - could you use a ready made custard and the powdered egg whites on sale in the supermarket which have bee pasteurised (or buy top quality eggs so you know they are "safe"?)
    This is the recipe I always use:
    For 4 - 6 people:
    1 tub mascarpone
    2 eggs, separated
    40g sugar
    tsp vanilla extract
    1 pack savoiardi
    1 cup espresso
    coffee liqueur or other "dark flavoured" alcohol
    cocoa powder

1. Beat the mascarpone, sugar, vanilla and egg yolks together.
    2. Whisk the egg whites until firm. Fold whites into cheese mixture.
    3. Mix the coffee and alcohol.
    4. Dip biscuits in the coffee/alcohol mix and make a layer in the bottom of a pretty serving dish.
    5. Spoon on a layer of the egg and cheese mixture (about 1/3 of the total quantity).
    6. Add another layer of soaked biscuits.
    7. Spoon on a second layer of cheese mixture.
    8. Add a third layer of biscuits.
    9. Spoon on a third layer of cheese mixture.
    10.Cover with a thick layer of cocoa powder.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

5. PlymouthMaid

Thanks everyone. I will use those finger things then, certainly the easier option. Thanks for the egg free recipe, that sounds like a goodish one.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Fromage frais will do.

7. If I cannot get hold of mascarpone, I mix 2 large tubs of quark (so 500g in total) with one but (250mls) of cream. Add some sugar and you will have a nice creamy substance, which doesn't taste cheesy and will be perfectly ok for a tiramisu.
    I never make my tiramisu with eggs, btw.
    I also like to use chocolate chips and at the end some chocolate shavings on the top - much more wicked than a dusting of cocoa.

8. tub. Bit dyslexic there [​IMG]

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Going back to OP - why do you want to make it without eggs?
    H
    [​IMG]

10. PlymouthMaid

I really don't like eating raw eggs, the idea makes me feel ill. Bit wimpy I know but i don't eat eggs at all unless they are in a cake or something.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I always use powdered egg white for making royal icing and meringues.