1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips to make stitches/scar look better once it heals..

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by fantastischfish, Jan 20, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I had a tumor removed from my knee area yesterday. I have 6 (I think) stitches and, at present, the skin looks very puckered and uneven. Never had any form of surgery before; will it remain looking bumpy etc or will it reduce once swelling goes down and the skin heals?
    Apparently wearing a pressure bandage can help the scar end up flat instead of leaving a raised bump? Also, my mum reckons that as soon as it starts to heal I can start using cream to help reduce the scarring.
    Anyone got any advice or tips?

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I had a tumor removed from my knee area yesterday. I have 6 (I think) stitches and, at present, the skin looks very puckered and uneven. Never had any form of surgery before; will it remain looking bumpy etc or will it reduce once swelling goes down and the skin heals?
    Apparently wearing a pressure bandage can help the scar end up flat instead of leaving a raised bump? Also, my mum reckons that as soon as it starts to heal I can start using cream to help reduce the scarring.
    Anyone got any advice or tips?

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Once it has healed, bio oil is brilliant for reducing scarring.

4. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Or Vitamin E capsules!

5. You'll be amazed at how it heals. I have had numerous ops, the biggest one being a 12 inch scar down my right arm. When I had it sewn up I looked like a pig in a butcher's shop window - the skin was rippled, puckered and I was concerned that it would never heal. It flattened down very quickly but was purple scar for a long while but within a year it had gone completely silvery in colour, completely smooth ( you can see it and feel it but it's very slight even though it's so long and thick). Don't pick at it whilst it's healing and by all means use bio oil (however I read recently that there is no proof it orks - although is does stop the itching/tight feeling while it heals I find.)
    I have had surgeries in various places (breasts, arms, lady bits) and haven't got any scars I'm bothered about although I do have a lot of scars! For the record I am freckled and pale skinned and was told that aside from black skin this scars the worst.

6. Don't pick it! Don't make any attempt to remove "loose-looking" flakes or scabs.
    I agree that the most horrendous bobbly weals flatten and pale surprisingly quickly and well. I also have fine pale freckly skin and none of my (many) scars looks like much now.
    Bio-Oil is expensive and I am sceptical of any special powers. E45 cream is hypoallergenic and cheap as chips. The skin just needs moisturising. The rest is down to your individual response to healing.

7. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

Alternatively Lush do a massage bar called Therapy which is really nice to use on scars. Wait until the stitches are removed but you just rub it very gently along the scar and the warmth of your skin will melt the bar on contact so you get a layer of the moisturiser.
    I used it on the 2 scars on my ankle and DH on the massive vertical scar down his abdomen. It is really nice!

8. inq

inq

Johnsons used to/ do a baby oil with vitamin E - my dad used this on the scars for his knee replacements and this worked wonders on his scar - once the stiches were out he started my massaging a small amout in every couple of hours and then gradually dcreased the frequency.

9. Rubbing (gently) improves the blood flow to the tissues. Recommended.

10. After two c-section I can say coco butter and gentle massage work perfectly. I now have two flat scars. I had my last section 10 months ago, then scar is hardly visable now. The skin around it has healed and tightened up.
    My son also had an operation on his head. We did the same thing and his scar has healed flat,
    To be honest I think the massage alone is enough to do it!
    GEO

11. redgrape

redgrape New commenter

I had surgery on my neck 5 weeks ago & had 15 staples put in which came out a week later and my scar is looking quite good even though it's still early days. It is a little lumpy but my consultant said not to rub in any oil/cream but it would settle on it's own.

Your scar will look awful but it will soon heal just don't be tempted to scratch it. After having stitches & staples I find that they do tighten up after a few days so can be a little uncomfortable but after they've been removed it will feel lots better.

12. I had both my knees put back together just over a year ago, 28 stitches in one and 15 stitches + staples in the other, and you'd be surprised at how quickly the scars fade.
    As mentioned don't pick it and a daily moisturise after a bath. I simply used whatever cream the doctor had me on for my dry skin. E45 works quite well.