1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips to ensure I get a good for Maths observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Getzlaf2007, May 8, 2012.

1. Getzlaf2007

Getzlaf2007 New commenter

Hi all,

I am in Year 1 and have a Maths observation next week. Can people give me some handy tips to ensure that I get a 'good' thanks!. Tell me all I need: success criteria etc to ensure I haven't left out anything.

2. Getzlaf2007

All tips greatly received! [​IMG]

3. Keep it simple. Decide what you are going to teach the children. What do they need to learn next . . .where are they up to? Deliver it in an interesting, creative way but don't get lost in a 'nice' activity. Teach the objective. At the end of your input ASSESS what they now know. Who is ready to fly and can access the using and applying problem you'e set up? Who needs a little more support and will come to you? Who need it diff'd down again and (hopefully) could be supported by your TA. (Or jumble groups). Honest . . .a good (or outstanding) lesson isn't unachievable. Just show you know your kids and know what they need next. Good luck.

4. Getzlaf2007

Thanks, Jenni [​IMG]

5. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Be a woman under 30

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Depends on your school. A man under 30 would be even better in a great many primaries!

7. And the cook always gives them bigger lunches :)

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They do that in my school as well! I'm thinking of bribing the DH to collect my lunch for me...

But seriously, read the observation schedule from Ofsted and make sure your lesson ticks all the boxes and some of the outstanding ones. Pray any tricky children are off sick that day. Then you'll be fine.

9. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Get the box ticky bits right before the obs. Make sure your objective is tight, your success criteria is measurable and directly relates to the objective. Differentiation is clear and well tailored to your children, TA's are used effectively to promote learning and most of your class SHOW they have made progress within the lesson. Keep reinforcing the learning and make sure the children are entirely focussed on that. Because children can only learn when they know exactly what it is they are meant to be learning :p

10. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Ha, ha, ha. That is so true. Though in one school they used to give me the same size portion as they gave to the year 1s. I used to look at them with disgust! Lost weight that year though!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Reading through the guidelines in the new Ofsted criteria, I've concluded the main points for a successful lesson observation are:
    - differentiation, with appropriate challenge
    - sufficient subject knowledge to stretch and support as necessary
    - AFL. Change lessons as appropriate, mini-plenaries, don't plough on regardless, don't be afraid to abandon a lesson altopgether it it's going **** up
    - engagement. Not through flash-bang-wallop lessons, but with a the culture created in your classroom. Also, not being afraid to tell a child to buck up, zip it and get on with it, if appropriate. One child off task for a degree of time can make a lesson 'satisfactory'
    - being clear about where all groups of children are and where they need to get to and children having an idea of this as well

Not rocket science, but of course, this is the theory only. A different ball-game in practice, naturally.
    What it's not about, despite what a lot of people seem to believe, is ticking boxes such as WALTs, WILFs, Success Criteria and having targets all over the place.

12. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

As with everything I expect it varies. I was observed against the new criteria last week by the LEA team and the feedback I was given for two lessons referenced the learning objective and success criteria and stated these as reasons why the children made good progress. On the flipside, another teacher was told the objective was not reinforced enough throughout the lesson and the sc did not facilitate good progress as the children were not able to measure their own progress against it, leading to 'only' satisfactory progress. It really will depend on the observer and what THEY believe facilitates/hinders good progress.