1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips required for increasing the number of students on my books

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by geek84, Sep 14, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks

I teach maths up to GCSE level. I have not got many students on my books at
    the moment, and I am now thinking of expanding my student base by creating a
    webstie and doing some advertising & marketing. However, I need some advice
    on this.

How will I be able to tell that this will be a profitable thing to do and
    that my website is visited by 'lots' of people?

I also want to do 1 to 1 tuition over the internet. How do I go about doing
    that? Would I need any special software?

Thanks in advance for your response

2. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks

I teach maths up to GCSE level. I have not got many students on my books at
    the moment, and I am now thinking of expanding my student base by creating a
    webstie and doing some advertising & marketing. However, I need some advice
    on this.

How will I be able to tell that this will be a profitable thing to do and
    that my website is visited by 'lots' of people?

I also want to do 1 to 1 tuition over the internet. How do I go about doing
    that? Would I need any special software?

Thanks in advance for your response

3. I think there are sites that give you hit counters, so you know how many people are looking at your website.

A website will be profitable, if it sells the product in a professional way.

4. I have found leafleting to be very cost effective.

90 pound for 5000 leaflets generated me 10 responses, after only delivering 1000 of them.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Go for a recommended web designer. You can get certain types of sites cheaply.

6. There are loads of free websites these days to get you started and see if they help. I just did one at moonfruit.com . I am now adding free adds to gumtree with a link to my website. Our local sainsburys has a free board where you can put up cards so will do this and put my website on it. Maybe use twitter and hash tag loads of useful tweeters or topics so others get to see your tweets where you can list your site. Put up flyer in libraries and other local places with stands or notice boards. Maybe ask the local school to put your website as a link on theirs?

Haven't tried any yet other than gumtree and my website just this last few weeks do will wait and see.

7. Hi Geek84,
    Following on from CliveCeltic's advice, there are a number of free website templates on the internet that can get you started quickly and easily. Many of these sites also offer web hosting to display your site. At the moment, Google are offering free website layouts, a domain name and web hosting for a whole year to encourage British businesses to get online. Have a look on their website : gbbo.co.uk.

If you find yourself struggling to find students at the start of the year, you could also try registering witha tuition agency. One advantage of registering with an agency is that they will do most of your promotion and marketing for you. It's worth bearing in mind though that agencies will take a cut of your profits as a result. They may however, also apply for a CRB Certificate on your behalf, if you don't have one, which could prove useful for any future tutoring work.
    Sometimes, finding the most effective advertising methods involves some
    trial and error.

Once you have a more students on your books, one way of ensuring students and parents contact you, is to build up a good reputation in your local area by word of mouth. Sometimes, a good word from a previous parent or student can do wonders for your services.

Good luck.