1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on sleeping well (for mum not baby!!)

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Astralabe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. My baby is not the problem - it's me! I cannot seem to get a good nights sleep anymore since having her (7 months old now) - at first I put it down to disrupted sleep patterns when breastfeeding etc, but she's slept 6pm - 7am for pretty much 4 months now and I can't seem to take advantage - I go to bed at 9.30/10, lie awake til 12, manage about 3 hours of light sleep then lay awake again til she wakes up. I am ridiculously tired - any advice? Tried hot baths, valerian tea, knocking myself out with wine (!)...

2. My baby is not the problem - it's me! I cannot seem to get a good nights sleep anymore since having her (7 months old now) - at first I put it down to disrupted sleep patterns when breastfeeding etc, but she's slept 6pm - 7am for pretty much 4 months now and I can't seem to take advantage - I go to bed at 9.30/10, lie awake til 12, manage about 3 hours of light sleep then lay awake again til she wakes up. I am ridiculously tired - any advice? Tried hot baths, valerian tea, knocking myself out with wine (!)...

3. Reading? i read every night and it helps me switch my brain right off- can't sleep easily if I have nothing to read! Lavender oil? Or, perhaps you go to bed a little too early; maybe make it later til you're really tired and then go to bed? Are you back at work yet?

4. I have exactly the same problem, except I sleep well between about 9 and 2 and then terribly for the rest of the night. I have tried going to bed later but then I just get less sleep! I think alcohol makes it worse (an early deep sleep but terrible after) and am avoiding all caffeine. Now, if I wake, I get up, have a drink of milk and a banana (I heard they help) and read something trivial until I feel tired again. I'm now averaging 5-6 hours and that seems to be enough!

5. Clematis I'm on mat leave til December, want to crack this before I go back! Yeah, I used to read a lot before LO and got out of the habit... Will give it a go! Going to ditch the wine... Did loads of exercise tonight so hoping that will help. Thanks LB.. Didn't know that about bananas. I think I'm finding it hard to switch off - always thinking about sasha's meals, or did I play with her enough today, what she will do next etc etc - it's ridiculous!

6. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

know what you mean about finding it hard to switch off. can you listen to i player (radio 4) on your phone or i pod with headphones? i try and find a nice, slow radio programme to listen to and find i usually fall asleep before the end. so far i've learnt about food intolerances, caesarean sections, holidaying in afghanistan (honestly)....blah, blah. so if all else fails at least you get to learn stuff! a really hot bath with nice lavendery stuff in also works for me or reading a trashy mag.

7. I've decided it's because I am not properly tired, having been wide awake since 4.30! When at work I am knackered when I go to bed, but currently I am not. Although I am going to be rubbish at work if I keep only getting 5 hours sleep!

8. Thanks kj - melvin braggs show probably would send ne to sleep! Didn't he do a whole hour on 16th century Chinese farming once?!

9. I'm definitely tired - my eyes are burning by the end of the day... Had two short dreams last night about an aircrash and carrying the queen around in my pocket (!) so I must have had a few hours, but still took hours to get to sleep. Ho hum! Will try a lavender bath tonight...

10. I'm sorry I don't know what else to add. I know that in the early weeks I was paranoid I wouldn't hear LO if she cried (and this is when she was next to me!) so maybe there is some underlying anxiety that the monitor won't work or something and LO will cry and you won't hear? Even though in reality, you know you would wake up - or, the other way round. You can hear LO on the monitor and everytime they stir, you think they're about to wake up, so there's no point you going to sleep as you'll have to get up in a minute. I'm just throwing ideas around but I think the subconscious is a devilish little thing.
    Either way, none of these comments actually help so I would definitely try the lavender bath and hope it soothes you to sleep. Failing that, act like LO, have a bath (OK, don't get OH to wipe your bum or anything [​IMG]

11. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

It sounds like you are too tired to fall asleep or have got past the tiredness. I have this problem so don't have any answers I'm afraid, just my sympathy. You could try a couple of drops of lavender oil on your pillow and try and clear your mind before bed by reading something that's not connected to babies! (Wish I could take my own advice!). Also, how about taking night rescue remedy (I think it's called) it's just the standard rescue remedy with another flower essence to help you switch off. Doing yoga might help as well as the relaxation techniques help you clear your mind and relax too. xxx

12. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I get this too, every few weeks my insomnia builds up so much that I'm genuinely over-tired, wired and cannot sleep. (LO sleeps well which I'm very thankful for, but I sleep on a knife-edge and wake up to 6 times a night). I either get OH to listen out for LO while I take a tomazepam with earplus in in the spare room- he does the early morning bottle. Or I decamp to my parents' with baby, they fuss over her and I escape the noise from OH and the cats. I really do sympathise x