1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for teaching S2...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lucyrs27, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hello all, would welcome a little advice.
    Have taught stats for the first time last year and enjoyed it very much, despite having a challenging (large, noisy, demanding) class. The S1 results are in and seem ok (within normal limits hee hee) but HOD is unimpressed. We have had some disagreements over my teaching methods in the past and I know she is not feeling confident in me next year. I would like to ensure I'm as confident as I can be in September so obviously I'm working through the material and exam papers at the moment...but any tips on other things, like methods of explanation, ways to introduce or elucidate concepts, or any other helpful titbits that only tend to accumulate with experience? It's MEI exam board.
    Many thanks in advance :)

2. Hello all, would welcome a little advice.
    Have taught stats for the first time last year and enjoyed it very much, despite having a challenging (large, noisy, demanding) class. The S1 results are in and seem ok (within normal limits hee hee) but HOD is unimpressed. We have had some disagreements over my teaching methods in the past and I know she is not feeling confident in me next year. I would like to ensure I'm as confident as I can be in September so obviously I'm working through the material and exam papers at the moment...but any tips on other things, like methods of explanation, ways to introduce or elucidate concepts, or any other helpful titbits that only tend to accumulate with experience? It's MEI exam board.
    Many thanks in advance :)

3. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Do all the past-papers yourself. But do them with explanations as to what and why.
    eg. Use yates corrections here because there is only 1 dof., or Poisson of X and Y is Poisson of X+Y, E(X2) is from squaring the values, not the probability, etc
    Doing the papers yourself will uncover many little nuances that you won't find ny exercise books only.
    Good luck
    Bric

4. I agree with Bric's advice on doing the papers yourself and I also try and explain my methods as I do it - sounds mad but it works for me.
    As I've only ever taught S2 to very small classes I try to make methods memorable as "group work" type things aren't really an option eg Poisson, my introductory lesson featured a fish recipe and working out how many of the class would get food poisoning depending on the rate of it. Slightly bizarre but my students remembered it and passed with flying colours.

5. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

If, like me, you are not an expert on Statistics, you need to read the mark schemes and examiner's reports very carefully. For example, they expect the answer "bivariate Normal" for questions such as "when should you use PPMCC"; this is not in the textbook or the syllabus. In the report on the summer 2010 paper, they mentioned that candidates were expected to inerpolate for the 4th decimal place of the z value, even though numbers in the question were to no more than 2 s.f. You also need to be careful about wording in hypothesis test questions, and defining the variable properly. Care is also needed interpreting the CHi squared stuff.
    It is not a hard paper on the whole, but a lot of marks can be dropped if you are not familiar with exam expectations.

6. Thanks very much :) sounds like good advice to me. *shuffles off to read lots of examiners reports*

7. This is all good advice.
    I find it's quite natural to teach the course using the textbook as a guide and then as long as students have enough time to complete past papers, you will be able to tie up the loose ends at this stage.