1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for Teacher Training.

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by aw99, Dec 28, 2010.

1. aw99

aw99 New commenter

At present I am going through the rigorous process of applying to uni for Primary Education and wondered if anyone had any hints and tips!? Im in my last year of school and I have done extended work experience in the Primary school. I love my work placement and this is truly the career that I wish to follow.

I have been invited to various interviews after uni's describing my application as " strong" and " intriguing". I've been swatting up on CFE and I have made a small portfolio of pictures and snippets of work that i have done with the children on my placement.
    I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance and I wish you and your classes much success in the new year.

A

2. aw99

aw99 New commenter

P.S. Im a man ! Will this help my cause !!?
    Thanks again

3. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

It may or it may not.
    However, just mentioning the issue of gender and hoping that it might give you an advantage will be seen by some as a 'red rag to a bull'.
    Having experience of working with children is important, either in a school or youth group, as is a willingness to work hard and learn the relevant skills.
    A word of caution - there is a tendency amongst some students and probationers nowadays to be over-confident about their ability, knowledge and experience, perhaps as a result of the introduction of a Curriculum for Excellence.
    If you are successful and you are accepted for ITE, it's important to remember that you will be working with colleagues who have substantial, practical experience of teaching from which you can learn a great deal.
    Good luck.