1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips For Pastoral Manager

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by PEteacher3, Jul 17, 2018.

1. PEteacher3

PEteacher3 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I start a new role in September as a Pastoral Manager. I have previously been teaching PE for the last 10 years and this is a step forward for me in my career. I really want to make a positive impact on the school and the pupils. Therefore I am just curious to see what tips people have for me to succeed in this role.

Would it be ok if people could share their experiences and in doing so help me with some ideas.

Many thanks,

Steve

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. KMac99

KMac99 New commenter

Hi there Steve!
    I'm in pretty much the same boat (a PE teacher and a new pastoral leader of a specific year group). The book above was also recommended to me but I've only JUST started reading it so can't tell you how helpful it is - give me a few days and I should have a better idea.

My school has a pastoral leadership group which includes all of the Heads of Years, Section leaders and Deputy Head Pastoral which meets a couple times a term (similar to a Head of Dept meeting but for pastoral leaders). It's helpful to be able to discuss issues which may transcend our areas and allows us to seek guidance/support. We also regularly send around articles/blogs which we think might be useful (the latest one was a list of popular websites/apps).

Finally, if you haven't been on a higher level safeguarding course, I'd do so straight away. This was the first thing my school did for me and from what I've heard from mates who are in pastoral positions, it's a major part of pastoral leadership these days.

Other than that, I'm similarly trying to get as many ideas as possible. Since I want to focus on both my pastoral team and my year group, I want to ensure I get to know people as quickly as possible and build a relationship with them. As for gaining info, I'm touching base with anyone I know in pastoral positions. I'm hoping to get a pastoral mentor within the school (so that I have someone I can bounce things off of). I'm looking back through old papers (the benefits of being a wee-bit of a pack-rat) to see if I can find good speakers who my previous school used. I'm also pretty much scouring the web for tips and getting ideas off of blogs or even Pinterest.

I'm not sure if any of this is of any help, but I'm happy to continue to share as things occur. I'll also continue to follow it up in case others have some great ideas which come out of the wood-work.

strawbs likes this.
  4. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Hi both
    I joined a school in this role a number of years ago. It is different if you are new to the school (I’m assuming you are) because you are unknown to your tutors and other staff. Here are some tips from me, none are particularly revolutionary..
    I’m assuming you are secondary

1) work out the non negotiables in school. No point taking a kids phone and saying they can’t have it back til the end of the day if you won’t be backed by higher up

2) speak to your existing tutors. Ideally on the first day before you make any decisions or changes. Ask them about their tutor group. Find out about the kids from them. What works, what doesn’t, what would make their lives easier.

3) how much are you also teaching? That will make a massive difference to the time you have to do things in school. Don’t promise anything you can’t deliver. You are both PE teachers - isolation in your lessons is not exactly the punishment that staff might want for pupils. So how are you going to perhaps introduce a level of sanction with you (alongside or as a level below whole school sanction).

4) pick up the s hit. Make the phone calls to the carp parents. Do the Friday detentions. Make sure if tutors rely on data, it’s done and it’s as easy for them as possible.

5) always back your tutors in public. In front of kids and parents. Always. Discuss issues in private but never undermine their decision in public.

6) if you have tutor meetings? Set an agenda, stick to it, bring biscuits and never ever go over the set length of time for a meeting.

7) don’t be Mr Nice Guy when you need to be Mr Authority. The kids will take the p iss and staff will resent you for it.

8) if you’ve got, say, 3 in each tutor group who are ruining it for everyone else? Take them all out for a week. You have them, with SLT support. Make sure the tutors have great stuff planned for the ones left behind while yours will sit in silence. They will hate it and hopefully realise that it’s not worth messing around in tutor time while the others will realise that they ruin it for the rest.

9) do you have a weekly assembly? If so, try to give the tutors an assembly off each on a rota. They might only get one a half term but it’s something (so for mine if it was their week they would bring them in, take the register and go). And never cancel assembly because you haven’t planned it or CBA. You are putting more work on them.

strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

10) which kids need support? What support is there in school? Again ask tutors. Try to direct the limited resources to where they are most useful.

11) be fair and consistent.

6. install

install Star commenter

Don't blame teachers for the poor behaviour of students

Don't leave detentions to everyone else to do

Do offer to help in unison with teachers