1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for not allowing 'back-to-school' nerves/anxiety get to you??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Joanna93f, Aug 30, 2012.

1. I'm sure that I am not the only teacher feeling a bit sick/anxious at the thought of returning to school on Monday morning; I love the teaching part of the job but politics/negative colleagues etc are beginning to play on my mind, usually at 4am in the morning, has anyone got any tips on how to get a handle on these feelings and insure that outside influences don't get on top of me and others in the proffession?
    Thank you :)

2. Stay out of the staffroom, and when you have to go in there, and someone starts moaning at you, say something upbeat and even-handed or non-committal (eg: "I expect it's hard for SMT to know what to do for the best in some cases",or, "worse things happen at sea!") (even if you agree with their moan) - by these two methods I have got myself a reputation for not being interested in moaning, and the usual moaners, ranters and political manoeuvre-ers are completely uninterested in me. I am lucky in having a very tiny department, just 3 of us, and we moan to each other and keep out of the rest of it. If we feel there's something really awry, we raise it with SMT ourselves.

3. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I find this helps too, find one or two trusted colleagues that you can have a moan with and stay out of any general whining and sniping that goes on.

4. Thank you both, great advice. The thing that I am quite worried about is our newly appointed head of department; they talk down to my colleagues and I, are convinced they are truly superior and frequently manage to upset children, parents and myself and others; this was before their promotion!
    I have told my head these concerns and they assure me they are aware of these shortcomings...But I am dreading the journeys home feeling frustrated and down :-(

5. New HODs like this usually get their just desserts. We had one like it a few years ago - got pulled up for his bullying behaviour and then gently encouraged to develop his career elsewhere. Now you've made your opinion known to SMT, I would suggest you drop it and be as supportive, or least biddable, as possible. Try to accept their superior behaviour (after all, being HOD, s/he IS superior to you - getting paid more and shouldering more responsibility. Just roll with it, pick your battles.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Hang a portrait of Gove on the wall behind your desk, label it 'My Hero' and blow a kiss to it each morning. Your colleagues will assume you're completely mad and give you a wide berth.

7. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Magic surf - fab!

8. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Surely I'm not the only one who's developed a gin addiction since becoming a teacher????

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Glad you like it y9840125. Something I have to ask - is your avatar standing on the Rialto Bridge?

10. JumpingStarfish

JumpingStarfish New commenter

Best. Plan. Ever! I'm doing it!