1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for moving from Y5 to Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MyDingaling, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Help!!!
    After teaching upper KS2 for 14 years I am moving down into Y1. I am part time (0.6) and will be class sharing with a very experienced Y1 teacher who will also work 0.6. We will have a cross over day 1 day a week.
    Anybody got any practical tips or advice to ease my transition?!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

'Get excited about it' would be my advice!

I'm moving to year 2 after 15 years in year 5 and above...am sooooooooooo excited!

But not much useful advice sorry.

3. I can imagine how you must feel! I love Key Stage 2 and would also be quite nervous of teaching Early Years, as children have such different needs and abilities at that age, and I would hope that I could keep them interested and help them to understand the work!! Quite a big change, but I have worked in Early Years (as a TA though, I'm not a teacher yet), and I'm sure that once you get used to it, you will find it rewarding. Good Luck! :)

4. Year 1 are brilliant! I love them. Is there any chance you can spend some time down in FS/Yr 1 in these last couple of weeks of term to acclimatise yourself?