1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for introducing a2 Media Studies students to the study of music video?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by rahman4media, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hello all.
    I have a 20 minute interview next week and it is to introduce A2 Media Studies students to the study of music video.
    Is there a good starting point? I don't want to do too much talking and want to get them into a student activity immediately. Because it is an introduction, this opens up room for numerous things. Where would I begin? Showing a short sample of a music video??? That might take up too much time. Perhaps looking at images of music videos or artists and breaking them down with analysis?
    Any ideas are welcome and I'd really be grateful.
    Thanks.

2. Hello all.
    I have a 20 minute interview next week and it is to introduce A2 Media Studies students to the study of music video.
    Is there a good starting point? I don't want to do too much talking and want to get them into a student activity immediately. Because it is an introduction, this opens up room for numerous things. Where would I begin? Showing a short sample of a music video??? That might take up too much time. Perhaps looking at images of music videos or artists and breaking them down with analysis?
    Any ideas are welcome and I'd really be grateful.
    Thanks.

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Good luck on the interview!
    On a wider issue, you could try to pull some theory in here, as this is important at A2. Assuming these are year 12 who have just come back from their A/S exams, if they do AQA then some of them may have done their own music work (although not music videos as such) for their A/S coursework.
    There are some good articles on mediaedu.co.uk if you are a member, including a pdf file which has a lesson plan analysing five music videos which could be adapted to 20 mins...
    I hope this helps