1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for interview lesson where behaviour is challenging!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by clarelou_x, Mar 10, 2016.

1. clarelou_x

clarelou_x New commenter

I've just completed my interview lesson and interview. Not expecting to get it for lots of little reasons, but think my lesson was not as good as it should have been, and some of that was the kids lack of experience in self assessing and working more independently. I also found low level disruption quite bad, whilst I kept dealing with it, I just kept coming accross problems for not knowing kids. Anyone have tips for asserting your standards of expectations at start of lesson when you've only got 25 mins teaching time x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why not re-post this on the Behaviour forum and get advice from there?

Best wishes

3. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Asserting behaviour expectations at the beginning; what I've done is to boil them down into three things. For my most recent successful interview (bear in mind this was two years ago) I believe they were

1. Don't talk over others
    2. Try your best at all tasks
    3. Ask for help if you get stuck
    Simple enough, just on a big slide at the beginning after engaging the class. Then refer back to them consistently throughout the lesson. "That's a great point but you've shouted it over his answer. Do try to remember the rules." "I notice we're 5 minutes in and you've not started. Are you stuck and not asking for help, or have you decided not to try?" "Okay, you've got the answers but they're all single words. Try to extend your thinking - I expect you to try your best."

I had a very short interview lesson once and decided to cut the rules slide for time's sake. It didn't go so well. Remember you're an unknown quality to the kids so you'd better put out your stall in terms of expectations from the start.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter