1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for Interactive session on video and editing techniques?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by rahman4media, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hello all. Have a micro teach coming up on the 30th of this month.
    The brief I have been given is to create an interactive session on video and editing techniques.
    The students have no computers/editing softwares and such. Only I have, with access to internet, powerpoint and a Promethean board.
    The idea is that my students find it a dry subject and I need to use innovative methods to ensure the topic becomes alive and everyone is engaging with the session and sessions to come.
    Now I am highly confident in the video/editing department...but when it comes to micro teaching and interviews, I fall short.
    Does anyone have any idea to share?
    Many thanks.

2. Hello all. Have a micro teach coming up on the 30th of this month.
    The brief I have been given is to create an interactive session on video and editing techniques.
    The students have no computers/editing softwares and such. Only I have, with access to internet, powerpoint and a Promethean board.
    The idea is that my students find it a dry subject and I need to use innovative methods to ensure the topic becomes alive and everyone is engaging with the session and sessions to come.
    Now I am highly confident in the video/editing department...but when it comes to micro teaching and interviews, I fall short.
    Does anyone have any idea to share?
    Many thanks.

3. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Depends on what sort of editing you mean, i.e. how in depth. If you're teaching an overview of basic linear editing then how about getting printed off screenshots from a film or some photographs of something abstract, say 8, and get 8 students to hold them up and the rest of the class to put them in order (maybe do in small groups instead depending on the size of the class). Use that as a basis for getting things in a certain order; then when discussing things like transitions get them to do some kind of movement to represent a fade to/from black or adding music.
    A good one for editing (maybe as a starter?) is to show them the video of the Kuleshov effect (it's on youtube) and ask them to write down the man's emotion each time we see him to get them thinking about the effect of editing and the order things go in.

4. I have a class of 20. Do you have any tips on how to do the photo thing?
    I have made over 20 stills from a Simpsons episode. Depending on time/size I plan to:
    • give each student an image and explain what is happening
    • select 8/10 students and rest of class try to put it in order
    I just want to make sure everyone is doing something. I'm a bit stuck on this.

5. Give say 4 groups the same 10/20 laminates and get them to write on the bottom/post it notes what is happening.

You could even give them blanks to but in-between to act as transitions.

Each group will have different stories/pace/order.

Wrap up with 'editing is a creative process not just tech'

Hope this helps

P

6. Thank you so much guys. I really do appreciate this.
    These are brilliant ideas, [​IMG]