1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for improving 'Year 1' writing....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Am intrigued to know everyone's top tips for improving writing in Year 1. My children are all very different (as I'm sure all yours are too), but I'm lacking imagination in ideas to get them from saying their sentence, sounding out each word, trying to remember full-stops, finger spaces and capital letters to independently writing more than one sentence consistently (without being begged by me!) and with increasing accuracy.
    Am thinking of having a bit of a competition (with themselves) going on - getting team-points for each 'sentence ingredient' they remember - just hoping that it doesn't get too complicated!
    Any more top tips.......?

2. Am intrigued to know everyone's top tips for improving writing in Year 1. My children are all very different (as I'm sure all yours are too), but I'm lacking imagination in ideas to get them from saying their sentence, sounding out each word, trying to remember full-stops, finger spaces and capital letters to independently writing more than one sentence consistently (without being begged by me!) and with increasing accuracy.
    Am thinking of having a bit of a competition (with themselves) going on - getting team-points for each 'sentence ingredient' they remember - just hoping that it doesn't get too complicated!
    Any more top tips.......?

3. Of course do all the phonics content and simple sentence structure and then:
    Have a little regular 'news slot' including telling each other the news, then drawing a pic and label whilst adult scribes a single sentence at first leading to child beginning to write as far as able leading to writing a sentence or two - from their own experiences so they have some content to write about.
    Instead of trying to invent new stories from stories, stick to writing re-telling of stories. I have found this very successful.
    Allow more opportunities to write from 'interests' and not worry about the writing structure for various 'genres'.

4. Thank you for your advice, any other moments of genius from anyone?