1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for cleaning UPVC window frames?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, May 23, 2011.

1. What would you use to clean UPVC window frames?
    A friend of mum is getting a flat ready for letting.
    Mum suggested bleach - but the friend doesn't like bleach.
    I thought of Astonish cream (I use it for most cleaning jobs)
    Any other suggestions?

2. What would you use to clean UPVC window frames?
    A friend of mum is getting a flat ready for letting.
    Mum suggested bleach - but the friend doesn't like bleach.
    I thought of Astonish cream (I use it for most cleaning jobs)
    Any other suggestions?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

The rough side of gannet

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think Astonish would be too abrasive and leave the surface scratched and likely to attract more dirt. I think Betterware do a product specially for the purpose but I would just use washing up liquid and water.

5. Shaving foam, the cheapest one will do the value, everyday etc range leave for 1 min and wipe away use kitchen towel for the excess and a damn cloth to ensure all is going and dry with paper towel again.
    Works a treat and brings back the brilliant shine and whiteness.
    Hope this helps.

6. Shaving the cheapest will work well. Spray it on and leave for 1 minute and wipe off with a damp cloth

7. Ooooer. May nick a bit of the lads and try it out. Not heard that one before.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I like the idea of a damn cloth. [​IMG]

9. Sorry that was supposed to be damp cloth and not sure why I got two replies. [​IMG]

10. Astonish is gentle...it doesn't seem that abrasive!

But I'm going to suggest the shaving foam....mainly 'cos I want to know if it really works!

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

start with damp cloth and detergent, then upscale for grubbier bits. Furnture polish (Mr Sheen) man be good for greasy marks.
    Need to avoid anything abrasive or that might dissolve the plastic.
    P

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I bought a "special" type of cleaner but I'm too lazy to go into the kitchen to find out what it's called - sorry. Could have been Betterware. Non-abrasive is the key I think.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

dam and i have thrown away the shaving cream my daughter had left here....but ill have a try of that idea to morrow

14. Shaving cream works!
    But so does normal water with washing up liquid!
    Or - (trust me, we almost all have these frames in Germany) - oven cleaner. The kind you spray on and it is like a foam. Just squirt on, wait, wipe off. Gets rid of the grime (and nicotine [​IMG]) and no scratches.
    Oven cleaner is what I generally use (from Meister Proper).
    You can also use nail varnish remover to get rid of any really, grubby, sticky marks (such as children's grubby, mucky finger prints!)
    P.S. Just testing whether I can edit...