1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tips and advice on negotiating a salary package!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by dash201, Jan 14, 2012.

1. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Hi all.

As it stands, I have been made an offer with a school in Qatar. I am being offered a salary of 12,192 QR (£2,100 or so).

However, flights only for me and not the wife, no medical insurance for either of us and one bedroom accommodation.

I am meeting the school soon and would like to negotiate upwards.

So, 2 questions...

1. What should I ask for?
    2. Any advice on how to go about this???

Many thanks.

2. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Hi all.

As it stands, I have been made an offer with a school in Qatar. I am being offered a salary of 12,192 QR (£2,100 or so).

However, flights only for me and not the wife, no medical insurance for either of us and one bedroom accommodation.

I am meeting the school soon and would like to negotiate upwards.

So, 2 questions...

1. What should I ask for?
    2. Any advice on how to go about this???

Many thanks.

3. older and wiser now...
    I am finding that the package offered IS a pretty good indicator of how a school values their teachers and whether they care about retention. Some of what you said causes me concern, particularly the medical and no ticket for the wife. There's offers in the ballpark of ok and there's offers that should be saying something to you... it is still January.
    best of luck to you
    pen

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Accommodation and medical fees are non-negotiable for me. They have to be in and of an acceptable standard otherwise I would refuse the job outright.

5. not a good offer for Qatar. Salary is only just acceptable and medical insurance would be offered by any reputable school.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

This is not a very good package. My advice would be to find some facts and figures to wave at them. A lot of Arab-owned schools in Doha have what I would call "the souq mentality". If you have some good qualifications and experience behind you, then you have got to haggle. The best way to persuade them to up their offer is to start walking away.
    Another point to bear in mind is that some schools in Doha (mentioning no names, Mr Moderator) will offer you anything and everything, but when you get off the plane you discover that they are not going to deliver.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I concur, this is not a good package. The salary is fine, but flights and medical should cover both of you, non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned. And a two-bedroom place is typical for a couple; whether that's non-negotiable is up to you, but it does send a message about what the school values.
    The better schools do not play these games, so the fact that this school is also sends a message.
    Get any promises in writing, and think long and hard before accepting. If you're newish to teaching or international teaching, if the package such as it is would be an improvement on your current situation, if you can tolerate the frustration of working in what is likely to be a poor school, if you won't tourture yourself daily with thoughts of 'why don't I have medical insurance/two bedrooms/more xyz', than maybe it's worth considering as a stepping stone to better things in a couple of years. Otherwise, keep looking.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, gulfgolf makes a good point. A second-rate international school is a lot better than being unemployed in the UK and it could be a half-way house to working somewhere much better, two or three years from now.