1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Tipping

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Mar 4, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

We go to a restaurant quite often and 99% of the time its really good however I don't like leaving a tip as they put on an 'optional' (you have to ask if you want it removed) service charge of 15% on. I just wondered what others people thoughts were. Personally I think they'd probably get more money in proper 'tips' if they didn't add this...
    What do you think? Are you a tipper?

2. I always insist the service charge is removed and leave whatever tip I see as reasonable.
    As I frequently use the same restaurants I get fab service as the staff know me and know they will get the tip.

3. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

I do the same. It also means that it goes to the staff. I've heard before(can't remember where) that some of the automatic tip goes to the company.
    I'm off to google to see if I can find out now that someone has brought it up....

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We always leave a cash tip so it goes to the staff.

5. I always leave a cash tip and make sure I give it to the person who has served me. Service charges go to the company.
    Don't always assume though that your tip will go to the person who served you. Many places put all tips together and share them equally across all staff. So in some places there could be rude and lazy staff who are still getting the extra tips thanks to the considerate and friendly staff.