1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tipping on chairs

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Herringthecat, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I tell students that if they fall off a tipped chair then they will get blood on my new carpet and walls, and that I will have to fill in a form. It gets a laugh and they stop it after that

2. I had a 10 year old boy in my class many years ago who constantly tipped back on his chair, and I constantly asked him not to. One day the chair slipped and he fell backwards, the tip of the pencil he was sucking at the time going straight up into his soft palate! I think he and the rest of the class learnt their lesson from that!

3. My daughter (3 at the time) rocked forward on her chair at nursery and it went from under her, she fell forward and hit the edge of her table and put her teeth through her bottom lip. She ended up in theatre having stitches.
    I've only been in education for the last 12 months and I've seen at least 5 children fall off their chairs due to swinging on them.
    I tend to use my foot to correct the angle of the chair as I walk past, most realise straight away and don't continue but this reduces the amount of times I have to tell them.

4. I have been teaching for 17 years now and early on in my career I saw what can happen if a child tips back on a chair. It was in the music room next door, I was called in as it was one of students from my form class. He has been 'swinging' back on his chair and it slipped. His head banged against the edge and it pushed a section of his scalp upwards and it split. I have never before or since seen or had to deal with so much blood.

Needless to say I have since been a teacher who has a slight obsession with the seemingly harmless act

5. Simple answer, it damages the floor! If adults want to make holes in their lino/carpet then fine by me, but I get a new carpet in my room once every 10-15 years. Next time you're in the science block have a look at all the lovely little half moons your chair swinging monkeys have adorned the floor with.

6. Were you on teaching pratice in Slough about 1996? I was paired with someone who had a similar trouser incident??!!

7. Hi There
    This is a pet hate of mine - purely due to numerous bruises from the chair legs and at least twice having a chair put down on my foot. We have also in the last couple of months had a child taken to hospital after falling nd knocking herself out and another having to go home with an injured shoulder after tipping himself into a wall.
    Peejay

8. A child swinging forwards on a chair tripped me up and I fell and broke my elbow!

9. That is so funny because I've been wondering the same myself this week, simply because I went on a course where I had to sit and listen and I found that I sat with one leg bent up underneath me (as I am now). When we moved to group work I knelt on my chair simply, I think, to be more involved in the activity (heads down, bottoms up!). Even though I was aware of it I didn't seem to be able to stop. So I have stopped saying it to the children in my class this week unless they are swinging on their chair in such a way that I am likely to trip over the legs as I walk round. As you say there are more pressing issues...

10. Hi, I work in a primary/junior shcool and it's a problem here too. I usually say 'Here is your first and last warning. If I see you swinging on your chair, you lose it for one minute. If you swing again you lose it for two minutes, again and you lose it for three minutes'. I have never had a child lose their chair for more than one minute. Having to sit and work for one minute crossed legged on the floor is usually enough. I explain that as they have chosen to behave dangerously with the chair then health and safety issues mean I should remove the dangerous object (chair) and keep the child safe. Usually the behaviour stops at the first and last warning once they realise that I carry out the sanction. The children even police themselves now often reminding each other not to swing.

11. I'm a PGCE Trainee Teacher and in my very first lesson of whole class teaching a boy was swinging on his chair. As it was my first lesson, my worries were on other things as you can imagine. Before I knew it, he slipped forwards and smacked his nose on the edge of the table ending in lots of crying and blood! Since then, I've always got an eye for chair swingers ha!
    Hope this helps!

12. Sorry; not a good argument. As an adult you are resonsible for your own well-being in the workplace. Arcane and obtuse indeed!
    As a teacher in loco parentis you have their needs and safety at heart. I can just imagine the parent complaint about, "Why did you let him swing on his chair. This could have been avoided with better classroom management."
    Like others I have often tripped over legs sticking out. I once broke a rib because someone decided to leave a rubber on the floor (most simple of things) near the stock cupoard which flung back and hit me. I insist on classroom saftey rules like this and I'm not OCD!
    PS I never swing on my chair cos I make sure I have a great office one with swinging back. The children, I know, are not offered this luxury!

13. Yes; simple things like this demonstrate discipine. It's not going on and on for the sake of it. Tell your class the reasons for the rules. They tend to respect you if you do.
    PS As a male teacher (further to other threads about Male teachers) I find that that a stern stare makes them sit properly without a word spoken. It might take 20 secs but it works.

14. While they're balancing the chair, can they really be giving full attention to the lesson? I don't think so, because they are focussed on balancing the chair. I think kids need to "sit for learning, not lounging". (I have a chronic chair balancer in the class who drives me nuts! But, I'm working on it!)

15. I have 2 serial chair swingers. One who leans back and braces his hand on the table behind him to aid his balance and one who will balance the chair on one leg and spin from side to side.
    I've acquired 2 of the squat computer desk stools that we had. They get a stern look, sometimes accompanied by the '4 on the floor' handsign. Next they get a verbal reminder. Then their chair is swapped. If they still try to swing on the stool (pretty tricky, but my worst offender will try it all the same) then they lose the stool and have to sit on the floor.
    I tried to explain the safety reasons behind the rule, but the faces of the boys lit up and they were more interested in the gory story than anything else, so I gave up,
    Out of interest, in all my time I can only recall a couple of girls who were 'swingers' but lots and lots of boys. I wonder why that is?

16. I use the mantra '4 legs' and give the child the choice: 'Choose to sit on the chair correctly or choose to lose the privilege of sitting on the chair'. Also use the teacher look or gently putting the chair down as I walk around the class.
    Have explained how they might get hurt in various classes I've taught.
    Also used 'If you choose to swing, you may choose to hurt yourself if you fall off'

17. I've only just gone back to work after a child was swinging on chair, fell back and the chair leg went into my foot. I've never experienced pain like it and may not walk the same ever again as I've damaged a large part of the muscles and tendons in my foot.

18. Not that I want to trivialise it, but some kids are repeat offenders and some just don't realise that they are doing it, even after you've asked them to stop several times, they just go back to it a few mminutes later. I have been known to say "if you fall off backwards I will have to laugh" to which they offender replied "if I do, then so will I!"

19. Goldopals

Goldopals New commenter

I have seen students fall over after rocking or leaning on chairs. I have also seen chairs break because of kids repeatedly swinging on them. I do not think this is overly cautious.
    I give a warning, and then the kid loses their chair for 10 minutes, or longer (depends on how many times they offend). They do not like this, and this method has reduced the number of chair swingers.

20. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I actually remember swinging on my chair when I was12, purposely to get a reaction from the teacher.