1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tiny classroom!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Twigs85, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Twigs85

Twigs85 New commenter

Hi

I'm interested to know if anyone else has a tiny classroom and if they have any tips about organising it. I am in Year 2 and the tiny size of my classroom is beginning to annoy me. There is practically no storage that is for things other than what the children need regularly like books, maths or art resources (think one cupboard and one low cupboard full of trays - that's it!) which means that things like games and toys are squished under the sink or on top of cupboards which looks really messy. The children are squashed on the carpet and even more so at the tables. I hate it! Every inch of space is full and I know the school has a real push for neat classrooms but I simply do not have the space for the things I have.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm considering not having a carpet space, just so the kids aren't so squashed at the tables - it makes getting in and out of seats a real issue. What do you think?

Any space saving tips would be appreciated!

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Could the toys and games go in boxes so at least they look tidier on the shelf. When I had a classroom with no storage I stopped the kids having their own tray as this is often wasted space, full of junk. All workbooks were kept in magazine files, reading books were kept in one box or a smaller basket on their table, children were discouraged from bringing in things from home and all pencils etc were provided by me in an organiser on each table. Hooks on walls are also useful to hang bags from with toys in. Also ask the kids and other staff what they would do, it is often very hard to visualise another way. My collegue had a really awkard classroom and had it set up in a very unsatisfactory way. I must admit with the classroom full I couldnt see how it could be improved. This year there is a new teacher who emptied the room and has completely changed it for the better, in a way I and the previous teacher couldnt see. If you have taken over and carried on from the previous teachers layout, try emptying the room and starting again. You may even find there is room for more storage.

3. Twigs85

Twigs85 New commenter

Thanks for your advice! Like the idea of hooks on walls. I have been considering emptying and starting again but it's a big job and fairly daunting! You're right about the trays, they are usually full of bits of rubbish rather than anything useful. The toys and games are in boxes but are overly full. It is difficult to visualise things - have already moved a bit of furniture around and it has made a difference so I shall pursue that route.

4. I am in Year 2 and I got rid of all the children's trays which took up two large tray units. Instead I have one small one with six deep boxes. My reading groups are in colours and the children put their bookbags in the relevant colour box. It makes it easier for parent readers too as they can just grab the relevant box colour, rather than waiting for each child to wander vaguely to their tray etc. It seems to work fine and if it gets too crowded round the unit I can just pull the boxes out easily.
    I would certainly see if you can get rid of the trays. It made a real difference for me.