1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetabling

Discussion in 'Independent' started by trinity0097, Feb 6, 2012.

1. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I currently write the timetable in my school, doing it by hand. I was wondering if any fellow timetablers used any software in their school for writing a school timetable that they would recommend?

2. DM

DM New commenter

The two main packages are NovaT6 (part of SIMS) and Timetabler. Both are fine.

3. trinity0097

We don't have SIMS, so Nova T is a no-no.
    Have received a flyer from Timetabler, but concerned that it seems really expensiev with a one off fee and an annual charge, so wanted some personal recommendations!
    I may have to just carry on using paper and a Frixion pen!!!!

4. Have a look at the free Tutorial of TimeTabler.
    Have a look also at the users' comments on the web-site, and the section comparing manual timetabling with computer timetabling.
    It could save you a lot of valuable time.

5. trinity0097

Whilst it might save time if it's not cost effective then it is no use. It doesn't cost me anything currently to write a timetable, it doesn't affect my other roles in school as I tend to write it in evenings/weekends/holidays. I don't see how I can justify spending that amount of oney on something that then has an annual cost to pay - way can't it just be a one off fee, I think I could manage to wrangle that!

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Really? How much do you think an hour of your time is worth as a professional teacher?
    You are paying for the product and the support I would presume. One is a one-off fee. The other costs yearly.

7. Timetabling by computer is effective in so many ways, including the cost of your time, and the quality of the completed timetable ...and its effect on the teaching & learning in your school.
    To see ten reasons for timetabling by computer, see:
    http://www.timetabler.com/ManualTimetabling.html
    It depends on the size of your school of course ...the bigger the school, and the more complicated the structure, the more a computer program can help you.

8. trinity0097

I don't get paid by the hour though, so buying a piece of software doesn't actually save the school any money, it's not like I spend much of my school day doing the timetable when it's timetable writing time, I do it at weekends/holidays. I can't see how my time comes into it other than as a benefit to me personally but not the school.

I still would love some software to help though, we are just about to start up a senior school (yrs 9-11) so will have the extra joy of 3 additional year groups to timetable eventually with GCSE options etc! Don't know how I can convince the powers that be though when it's so expensive to buy software that would do the same job as me!

9. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I don't see how you'd convince them if you yourself don't see anything wrong with slaving away at the weekend and evenings for presumably a significant length of time.