1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetabling - How many hours per NC subject?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Mar 27, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

2. Hi
    I know we have a minimum amount of time for RE and PE, but just need to cover the NC for the other subjects which means you don't have to do all of it all the time. My understanding is the you just need to cover the NC objectives.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I think there aren't any time constraints on each subject except for P.E. perhaps and R.E. in religious schools. We block D.T. into 1 week per term. I do 4 hours literacy a week, same with maths. That gives me chance to do science in the morning. I teach a lot of maths and literacy objectives cross curricularly. As long as you teach the curriculum, who can complain?

4. We are the same and do 4 lessons of maths and 4 of literacy. When you add in the phonics, guided reading carousel etc it works out at an awful lot of literacy. We do some maths at the beginning of each ICT lesson. I don't think I would fit everything if I did 5 lessons of literacy and maths.