1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

timetabled cover?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by RamC, Jul 4, 2012.

1. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hello all, I am currently an NQT and have had a run of poor health resulting in my NQT running until October half term. My deputy head who deals with the timetables has tried to accommodate NQT time until October, but instead of this additional time becoming gained time after October, has then timetabled the rest of year during that period as "cover." We hold a multi- disciplinary team meeting for each class every week and this period would be used to cover their teacher attending. So it would be a different class each week, and I would only see that class once a term. I work in a special school so each class has it's own challenges as specific behaviour programmes, just to make it extra difficult! My deputy head has told me that because it's timetabled he can use me as cover- is this right?

2. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hello all, I am currently an NQT and have had a run of poor health resulting in my NQT running until October half term. My deputy head who deals with the timetables has tried to accommodate NQT time until October, but instead of this additional time becoming gained time after October, has then timetabled the rest of year during that period as "cover." We hold a multi- disciplinary team meeting for each class every week and this period would be used to cover their teacher attending. So it would be a different class each week, and I would only see that class once a term. I work in a special school so each class has it's own challenges as specific behaviour programmes, just to make it extra difficult! My deputy head has told me that because it's timetabled he can use me as cover- is this right?

3. It may be happening, but it's not right. The School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document categorically states that teachers and headteachers may be required to cover only rarely and the only exceptions to this are teachers who are employed wholly or mainly to undertake cover ( which, it would appear, neither of you are). It is not acceptable to include periods in a teacher's timetable specifically for the provision of cover. Basically, your schools are breaking the rules, speak to your union rep.