1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetable

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by ipswichlatebus, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ipswichlatebus

ipswichlatebus New commenter

Ok do u have a blank timetable template i could use when making individual timetables.

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Give over, back again with a new name.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

All our timetabling is done through a SIMS module so nothing that I can share. You need to talk to the SLT / admin people in charge of the timetable to find out what they use. Equally, it may be useful to talk to the HoD of English to see what they do if there isn't a centralised system

4. ipswichlatebus

I will take this into account when doing the timetable, is there anything else i need to consider

5. ipswichlatebus

Just realized with my timetable i have double booked some teachers

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Wednesday
    Thursday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Bit flippin late now surely? What on earth were you using on Weds and Thurs?

Friday
    Surely if you had cover all day Wednesday, this question was a bit late on Friday.

Quite!
    @ipswichlatebus if you do a search for @Caymem 's threads, they ask very similar questions to you in a very similar way, so you should get lots of advice there.

7. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Towards the year I looked forward to doing the timetables in my dept. The easiest thing about being a HoD, imo! It was stressful at times: "oh no X can't have 9A because X has 12D". But for me, it was like doing a puzzle - very frustrating but totally worth it when all the pieces fit.

And it gave me something to do when my GCSE and A-level classes were on study leave.

How I miss being HoD... I still wouldn't leave my current job to return to teaching though!

8. ipswichlatebus

Whats your current job

9. VeronicAmb

I work in PR for a strategic comms consultancy.

10. ipswichlatebus

I hate timetabling how do i make that fun

11. VeronicAmb

I dont know how or what you use.

Colour coding classes is fun. Id make patterns on the timetable. Also with all the words in one slot/box, Id make anagrams out of them. I then would use those words as "words of the day" for the new academic year.

Just silly little things like that made it more enjoyable!

12. ipswichlatebus

Ill try tbat thanks mate u got any other timetable advice

13. caterpillartobutterfly

Is this seriously the standard of English used by teachers?

14. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

O
    Oh please. Have you read the history of posts? Ipswich is probably a sixth fofmer having a laugh

15. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D I'll try again...
    Is this seriously the standard of English used by sixth formers?

sabrinakat likes this.
  16. VeronicAmb

I cant remember what your OP includes (whether you're head of HoD). But if you are, I'd suggest asking your team what classes they want, dont and are willing to teach this year. Try and build some incentives towards the classes that they dont want to teach. That always helps.

I always asked individually. I didnt just give favourite classes to teachers . But it was much easier to delegate rather than sit down as a team and discuss who they will and wont have because it always seemed unfair to one or a few teachers that got a bad batch. Allow your team to "pitch" why they should keep favoured classes. Dont say yes because they find it the easiest class to teach. But think how keeping that class wirhbsais teacher will affect the outcome of the school.

I always persuaded SM to let us have our A level groups last period and our GCSEs first and 2nd. Hit and miss. But, if you can explain why this is a good thing, it might make it easier for your timetabling needs. This is from my own personal experience, and I have no idea how your school operates.

There are loads of little things I did with my team and my timetabling planning. PM me if you want to discuss any of them. :)

17. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

I'm struggling with the notion that you're a teacher; your grammar and spelling are poor!