1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetable

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by ipswichlatebus, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:36 PM.

1. ipswichlatebus

ipswichlatebus New commenter

How many lessons per week do u teach

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

3. ipswichlatebus

4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

22/30 50-minute sessions, and I have tutor time for 40 minutes a day.

Yes, I have enough time to do my duties as Head of Department.

5. tb9605

Sort of.... I've got a couple of teachers I would like to be able to support more than I can (as I'm always teaching when they are). Other than that, yes I have enough time.

6. ipswichlatebus

How do you spend your time

7. ipswichlatebus

How do u spend your time

8. tb9605

Well, when I'm not teaching, I'm: marking; planning; dropping into lessons when I can (especially those classes where there are behaviour issues); messaging parents; occassionally sorting out cover if a department member isn't in; meeting with colleagues to co-plan new units; doing a bit of coursework intervention with Year 11; moderating; keeping an eye on the library on the days when our part-time librarian isn't in; organsing mock exams; touching base with the head about various issues; stock orders.

That's the normal stuff.

This term, I've been running a Philosophy club in one of my lunchtimes, and I've an exchange trip coming up next term, so planning both is taking up a bit of time. Additionally, I'm doing some teacher training at another school in the group and that's taking up quite a lot of time, not least in setting cover for my own classes while I'm away.

9. ipswichlatebus

So what's the best part of your role?

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

What's your role, ipswichlatebus?

11. ipswichlatebus

Acting head of the maths and IT department why you ask.

12. tb9605

Honestly? The teaching is what I enjoy most. However, as HoD (and particularly because my Head trusts me completely) I get to teach the syllabi I want, the texts I want, etc, etc. This both reduces my planning workload and increases my enjoyment of teaching (naturally, I extend this freedom to my department as much as possible, though most chose to just do what I do so that they can use my lesson plans). However, I also ensure I get the toughest group in each Year that I teach.

Of the other things, I am really enjoying the teacher-training (especially as the teachers are so grateful and up for it: it would be a different matter if they were resentful and saw it as an unnecessary waste of their time). I also get a warm glow everytime I sit in the library supervising and check out a load of books, seeing as there was no library when I joined the school less than 3 years ago, and now it is a central part of the school, both literally and metaphorically.