1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetable

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Spanner_1, Jul 3, 2012.

1. It's that time of year again.......

How many hours a week or fortnight head of departments get?

2. It's that time of year again.......

How many hours a week or fortnight head of departments get?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

1 period more than normal teachers.

4. We used to get that until some mean-spirited ba stard made us teach more. Staff on 44/50 and HOFs 39/50. For the record, HODs (which also includes 2i/c posts for faculties) are on 42/50.

5. It depends on the department - no pattern clear! As Head of Geography I get the same as a teacher (3 our to 30) with no responsiblity but have 1 point in pay. No explainations given,.

6. I get 40/50 and my colleague has to teach 42/50, but ours is a small department and I'm not sure how it works for other HoD in school.

7. 1 more hour than standard teacher, which is then taken for a line-manager meeting once a fortnight!

8. Your school's understanding of the law is bait shaky. You are legally entitled to management time - time to deliver your TLR responsibilities. Your school can not possibly argue that giving you an extra hour which it promptly takes away by giving you a meeting is in any way fair or reasonable management time.

9. Same as everyone else but one HoD per fortnight: 43/50.

No 2ic. I'm head of Literacy - lead on Independent Learning and do most T&L. Also NQT mentor. I have tutor group.

I'm wondering now, seriously, is it possible to do all that is expected in that time or is it just assumed that I'll catch up [as I do now] over evenings, weekends and holidays. Am I really inefficient?

I have decided that if I can't get it all done [marking, assessment, planning etc] in 3 hours pw then it doesn't get done. End of.

10. Oh and we get x2 20 min breaks. Expected to be on the corridor to see out the kids [who are then often back in before the bell goes] which reduces us down to about 15min.

11. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I'm HOD of English, Media & Film and every teacher (excluding SLT, HOY's & CST) have 5 periods a day and 50 teaching hours over a fortnight. I have 38 lessons a fortnight and 12 free periods also in a fortnight. But we have 12 full-time English teachers, 1 including HOD year 7 so timetable are tight at the moment. I have 5 A-level groups in year 12 English Language, English Literature (group 1), English Literature (group 2) and Sociology and in year 13, English Literature. I also have set 1 year 9 GCSE and set 2 year 11 GCSE... All the marking I'll be doing.... eurgh!!!