1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetable question (computing time in primary)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by clarelofthouse, Nov 26, 2019.

1. clarelofthouse

clarelofthouse New commenter

Hi, we're looking at how much time we dedicate to computing in an international primary school? We follow the UK national curriculum.

Could you give me some ideas about how much time per week you dedicate to computing?

2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

An hour a week is a minimum in my eyes.

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

An hour a week.

4. ipswichlatebus

ipswichlatebus New commenter

We get 45 mins

5. matthew47

matthew47 New commenter

Most schools we speak to do 1 to 2 x 45min per week in Year 4-7. And maybe only 1x45min per week for the younger students.

6. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

I think you need to be smart and embed computing into the entire timetable.

Maths is perfect for lots of it like block programming. Use a beebot and a 10x10 number grid from 1-100 and you can program a route to the correct answer. e.g. you have 5 (beebot starts on 5), you need to add 7 so program a route to the answer.

you can use excel to complete sums.

Flow charts and computational thinking can be used to plan how to solve a task.
    For topic you introduce searching the internet to research info.

There are loads of ways you could do it rather in a set 45 min session a week.

7. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

Tis amazing, is not that, when you see the bright new things starting out on their careers and coming up with ground-breaking ideas. Yet for those of us in our senior years looking back, we can only tut quietly and shake our heads in semi yet predictable disbelief, as we see the dizzy circle once again redrawn and followed on its inexorable 10 year cycle. And of course, the outcomes will be exactly the same as in all the other attempts to teach this subject cross-curricula, for exactly the same complex and non-complex reasons.

"I think you need to be smart and embed computing into the entire timetable."

Corvuscorax likes this.
  8. clarelofthouse

clarelofthouse New commenter

Fantastic, thanks so much for all your insights.

I was thinking about how to embed computing into the entire curriculum.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

using computers? they are just a tool, and you just use them where useful, which is no where near as much as some people seem to think! No point in using computers just for the sake of using computers.

Beware of not over using them, particularly word processing for SEN students, which stunts their development in many ways, particularly dexterity, but also in planning, organisation, overviewing, etc.

Over use of the internet also stunts skills in research. You cannot research on the internet until you have mastered the basics of researching in a book and library setting.

If you mean coding, then an hour a week, approximately although 1.5-2 hours every other week might be more appropriate..