1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetable Pressure

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Hunky_Monkey14, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Hunky_Monkey14

Hunky_Monkey14 New commenter

Hello All

I am an experienced teacher, been a Head of Year for a number of years. Due to staff leaving, I have been given the job of Deputy Head of 6th Form which means instead of me looking after one year group (12 or 13) I am now looking after both year 12 and 13. Our 6th form is 320 plus students. It is clearly a way for the school to save money as well as give me additional responsibility which I am fine about. As a HOY of one year I have taught 33-35 hours a fortnight. Now with this new role they have told me I will be teaching 32 hours a fortnight. Our main scale teachers teach around 41-42 hours a fortnight.

I was just wondering what other people's teaching load is for equivalent positions? E.g. same sort of position, same rough number of students.

I personally don't think it is feasible, but the management are not really listening at the moment, hence my blog post.

Happy to hear views, both positive and negative.

2. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Wow - that sounds absolutely insane. You poor soul - I really could not do it. Call me lazy, but I struggled enough with the workload teaching and marking for 27 classes of French, Spanish and Geography a week, most of which were classes of 30+ students. I was constantly told I clearly was not cut out for the job and the pressure by my oh so lovely NQT mentor. In the end, I left for pastures new and now enjoy a much more comfortable life teaching 18 lessons a week, where I feel valued and happy to go to work everyday. I will probably never look back - the UK has no idea of what a work life balance should be!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Get admin staff and support staff employed under you fast. Otherwise your job will be impossible:cool:

Piranha likes this.