1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

timetable/non contact clarification

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by sorme, Jun 9, 2011.

1. My school is switching to 100 min lessons as of Sep 2011, what is the expected non contact time of a Head of department? The current HOD has 6 'free' peroids which works out to 360hrs. Under the 100min timetable that means that the current HOD woould be working 11 100min P + a 40 min session (the latter being impossible,what are the options, abandon class, walk out, kids teach yourselves?)
    They will have to round it up to 1,200 mins = 12 timetabled lessons leaving her with 3 X 100min sessions to do observations of staff within the department, complete paperwork 7 ensure the department runs smoothly.
    Any opinions?
    Cheers

2. Sorry that should be 'would' not woould & the number 7 after paperwork should be '&' :)

3. Assuming you mean 360 mins and not hours, then, the number of minutes in the new structure should be similar. If it's less, I'd be inclined to ask what I would NOT be doing as HOD - as I can't do the same job in less time. I'd suggest, your HOD talks to their union for guidance but there is a no-detriment clause in contracts, so conditions of service can't be worsened. Don't just let it happen: check what the rights are.