1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

timetable help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coffeecakes, Dec 29, 2011.

1. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

The way my timetable works at the moment includes 1x science lesson and 1 x RE lesson per week. I find that the lessons are more impacting if I do the same subject 2 days in a row so I want to try alternate weeks of 2x science then 2x RE. Has anybody tried this and if so how did you find it? is there anything stating that I have to do weekly lessons to cover these subjects or is there any research to show what works better? Thanks

2. coffeecakes

Also I should mention that we are a church school.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm slightly surprised that you do the same amount of RE as science.

The only restrictions to your timetable are those imposed by your school. If they are happy with what you are proposing then you will be fine.

You might find that the seeming greater progress made by having two days of a subject is negated by then not doing the subject at all for a fortnight.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

This doesn't sound like enough science for me. I often block R.E to get it over and done with but we are not a church school. I would try to do science every week. Could you alternate R.E. with a different subject? Art?

5. coffeecakes

Thank you so much for your replies.
    Greta why do you not think it is enough science. The lesson takes is 1 and a 1/2 hours long - so 1 1/2 hours a week of science.
    I like the idea of blocking RE - how do you work that ? Do you have a whole day of it each half term or something?

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

yes, I do a day of R.E. each term. Or sometimes, naughtily, 2 consecutive days for the whole term. I hate R.E. though. I do 3 hours a week of science although I realise this is more than most. 1 1/2 hours is probably ok.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have 2 hours a week of science and 1 of RE. KS2 only have 30 mins of RE.

8. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

My school is a Catholic School so RE is classed as a core subject. As such, it would not go down well if RE was alternated with another subject. Is your school Catholic or another denomination? It would depend, I suppose, on how religious the school is. Although technically they would still get the same amount of the subject taught, I know my school not be happy at every other week.

9. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I am a NQT and happily experimenting with what works for my class. Last term I worked in chunks ie every afternoon for a week (bar our PE slots) were spent learning about a Science topic; followed by a week of Geography, then History, then RE etc. It meant that the children could explore the subject in some depth and I could see where their interest was leading them. I managed to fit in everything I needed to cover throughout the term (although am slightly worrying about the next term, as it is only 5 weeks compared to 7 before)! This worked for me and the class and so I have decided to stick with it next term and not return to once a week science, once a week Geography etc. I think I am in a lucky position because my HT has allowed me a free reign. Might be worth a try for you?