1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetable help needed!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miss_howard87, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Hello all, first time poster here! Apologies for not paragraphing this post - tried but couldn't figure it out.

I'm taking on a Reception class for the summer term and I'm trying to just get the timetable sorted in my head before I begin to do anything really. I'm new-ish to EY.

I have a timetable given to me from prev. teacher that has lots of areas, for example, Mon - Thurs the afternoon slot has K&U, ICT, PSRN in each slot. I'm sure that what she meant by that is do whatever one you feel like on that particular afternoon, as long as you cover everything.

I'm planning to keep the fixed times the same i.e PD in the hall time slot, ICT time in the computer suite and all that jazz, but really I'm just wondering how much PSRN, CLL, K&U, PSED and CD is expected to be taught in each week? I presume K&U, PSED and CD is ongoing and I might just slot those in for Mon, Tues and Wed afternoon sessions, but it's really the PSRN and CLL that I need help with. Do you have two sessions of each in a week?

I know that in all areas, there might be overlap and some of it will be covered in other sessions, but I think for the ease of it and my planning schedule, I'd like to have time slots each week where we do that area at the same time each week? Hope that makes sense, haha. In EY, I'm beginning to realise that things pop up and you have to change the plan some days to accommodate other events or situations in the classroom.

Basicially, for those getting bored with the guff up there;

How many sessions (30 - 40 minutes roughly) of PSRN and CLL do you do a week? Is two of each enough? Too much?

Thanks so much!

2. Start planning for a daily phonics session and the same for PSRN, 20 minutes is about right.
    This is not set in stone and if you search previous threads you'll find there are many different examples of people's planning. There are also some who have uploaded planning to the resources section and you may find it useful to have a look.

3. I didn't put Phonics in that list because that's mostly sorted and we do that at the beginning of every day according to what we did at school when I went to observe/gather a sense of the general day. I meant actual CLL and PSRN sessions apart from Phonics. Is there a stipulated guideline to how many minutes/hours of PSRN and CLL input that a child must have at EYFS? I'm just concerned that I wouldn't be doing enough or too much, just wanted to see what the general consensus is?

For the first week, however, I may just stick to what I think and then ask on Monday if that's right and then amend it for the following week...The EYFS leader has given me her email and I might drop her a line to just check as well, but I know she's away for the first week of the holidays.

Also, could you tell me how you paragraphed/spaced out your comment. I can't see anything that can help me to do that?

Thanks for your response!

4. Put paragraph breaks in by typing the 'less than' arrow head, then the letter p, then the 'more than' arrow head. Do the class have guided reading, story time, big book time? When I was in reception we had a dedicated whole class Maths carpet time of 20 minutes each day. Focus activities would frequently have a PSRN or CLLD focus, as needed.

5. Thank you for the paragraph advice!

We have story time before lunch and sometimes probably at the end of the day (as I said, taking over from a teacher who has this all on the timetable, but it was just the afternoons where it had 'K&U, PSRN, ICT' in each of the afternoon slots and I wanted to actually sort that out so for my own planning, I knew what was what on each day)

PSRN is in the afternoon most days, after lunch, Monday and Tuesday, with CLL in the slot before lunch on the Monday and Tuesday, but I was concerned it wasn't enough. The time slot is 1:15 to 2:00 with CIA/CIL after, so 45 minutes seems a long time. I know this doesn't mean I have to use all of that time for PSRN, but when you're new to something, you want to do it by the book. This is coming from someone who has taught mainly KS1 where there's numeracy and literacy almost every day, so I guess I need to expect less in Reception as CIA/CIL seems to dominate a lot of the day. It's all change, but I think I'm alright with that.

Thank you for your response, I think I'll become a regular here on EY forum with all my questions, seems like a really helpful place to be :)

6. Hi - had advice from EY advisor for timetabling - had Ofsted recently - this is what I do and it seems to work more or less! The best bit of advice was dont be on the carpet for more than 15 mins !!! Ofsted dont like it so I didn't !I change as needed but things happen and I just go with it.
    I usually do 3 mornings CLL one week , 2 mornings PSRN or swap - if I have something that needs more input I might do PSRN all week. I was adviced not to do phonics/oral maths before an introduction - too much sitting.
    Still have PE session & RE/PSE session
    Come In - register - 10/15 min CLL or PSRN intro - Focused with grps - others CI
    11.30 - 11.45/50 Discrete phonics
    1- 1.10 maths oral quick & pacey
    1.10- 1.25 WC intro to session - KUW - depends on focus ICT, Science linked etc or CD
    1.25 - 2.40 - Focused with grps - other CI
    2.40 - 3.00 - ind reading- others CI
    3.00 -3.10 - story/rhymes etc
    ready for home
    Hope this is useful[​IMG]

7. hurny

hurny New commenter

Have you read the EYFS themes and principles? They include statements about good EYFS practice which should help when considering how to teach the areas of learning.
    I,
    personally, do not separate my day into subjects as such. I see this as
    more as National Curriculum style teaching. The EYFS is a more holistic
    curriculum where a variety of areas of learning can be covered in a
    variety of activities (aka: creative curriculum).
    As most of our
    assessments of children's learning should come from observations of CI
    activities, it is important that a good proportion of the day includes
    CI activities.
    I was on an LA course recently, they asked us to
    work out how much of our 6.5 hour day was actually allocated for CI
    activities....the results were quite interesting when taking off time
    allocated for assemblies, play times, lunch times, ICT suite, PE, whole
    class activities etc. Some schools were left with just a couple of hours
    a day!
    I have 4 whole class sessions per day.
    Session 1: Morning introduction. 15mins
    Session 2: phonics. 15 mins
    Session 3 either a shared reading/writing/PSRN/KUW input. 15mins
    Session 4: storytime and singing. Before home time.
    I
    have 1-2 focus activities per day (an adult working with a small group
    of 5-6 children whilst others are at CI activities). These will either
    be guided reading/writing with a CLL focus or a PSRN/KUW/PD or CD activity. All focus activities are based on the observations and assessments of the children's needs.
    For
    example, if I see that there is a lack of observations of children
    participating in music and singing in CI activities, I will plan an
    activity to support them develop confidence in this area. If this means
    that there is not a focus PSRN activity that day, then so be it. There
    are many opportunities for children to experience PSRN within the CI
    activities, therefore I do not plan for a focus (adult led) PSRN
    activity everyday.
    I do not have a planned time to teach just ICT/KUW
    each day/week. These happen throughout the day with continuous
    provision, CI activities. Again if observations of the children show
    there are gaps in their ICT/KUW knowledge/experiences then I will plan
    a focus activity to cover these gaps.
    On my planning I make sure all
    areas of learning are covered in a variety of activities CI and adult
    led, this is reflected in the observations that are made of children.
    I
    guess it is difficult when coming from KS1 as it could seem like the
    children are not 'learning' enough when they are not involved in adult
    led, subject specific activities. I find that all aspects of all areas
    of learning can be covered without having to have specific times
    allocated to subjects. This way it is easier to respond to children's
    interests as well.