1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Timetable change in Gained time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jemmy, May 30, 2012.

1. I've been told that I have to take over several classes from a colleague in my gained time, while she prepares for next September. This means that she will be writing schemes of work, I have been thanked profusely for this, but it seems I have no choice in the matter as, apparently, "there is no alternative". According to what I have read on the NUT website, teachers with gained time can only be asked to cover for colleagues on the same basis as the "rarely cover" agreement - i.e. when that colleague's absence from their class is due to an unforeseeable event. I expected this to happen, but I am really ****** off at the way it is a) recognised as a BIG ASK (in capitals) and at the same time told that I have to do it - a mixture of emotional blackmail and coercion, and b) that it would seem to be a contravention of the Rarely Cover agreement, and therefore just another example of a contractual detail being ignored by management, who would be only too quick to jump on me if I had broken a similar agreement. Could I refuse? (Not that I would probably have the guts to!)

2. I've been told that I have to take over several classes from a colleague in my gained time, while she prepares for next September. This means that she will be writing schemes of work, I have been thanked profusely for this, but it seems I have no choice in the matter as, apparently, "there is no alternative". According to what I have read on the NUT website, teachers with gained time can only be asked to cover for colleagues on the same basis as the "rarely cover" agreement - i.e. when that colleague's absence from their class is due to an unforeseeable event. I expected this to happen, but I am really ****** off at the way it is a) recognised as a BIG ASK (in capitals) and at the same time told that I have to do it - a mixture of emotional blackmail and coercion, and b) that it would seem to be a contravention of the Rarely Cover agreement, and therefore just another example of a contractual detail being ignored by management, who would be only too quick to jump on me if I had broken a similar agreement. Could I refuse? (Not that I would probably have the guts to!)

3. My understanding is that if this is a 'timetable change' the school are perfectly within their rights to do so. If you are simply doing long term cover then you might want to double check with your union. My experience is that schools expect a lot from teachers - often with the gratitude that makes it seem like you have a choice - but actually you don't!!

4. I believe you could refuse, should you choose to do so. The school should not change the timetable once it has been set for the year, UNLESS it is negotiated. They are removing your gained time and asking you to cover for a colleague which is against a standard teaching contract. Why are they not using a cover supervisor or purchasing supply? If you want to refuse, consult your union (if you are a member) first to double check your situation.

5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

They better be some pretty damn amazing SoWs!

6. it is good i like it .