1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

timetable and time allocations

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by harshipper88, Aug 16, 2015.

1. harshipper88

harshipper88 New commenter

Hi all,

I have a question on timetabling and I am going to email my NASUWT rep too.

Background: Secondary English teacher, Surrey, just finished NQT year, however it is my 3rd year teaching (Australian). Am taking on some history classes this year.

I am concerned that my timetable is too overloaded, and that my PPA has been taken away. My HOD requested to SLT that my NQT mentor and I keep a period free so we could continue my mentor meetings (I am the youngest and least experienced in the dpt). However (2 week timetable) this has been put into one of my PPAs. So 1 week I have 3 PPAs and 1 meeting period. My second week is the same, however an extra free period which is labelled 'teaching and learning' which is code for cover.

Is my school trying to pull a fast one?

Any help would be great, I don't really know the laws etc here.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You're entitled to 10% PPA. Last year, as an NQT, you would also have been entitled to another 10% non-contact, so you should expect to have rather less non-contact this year.

You don't say how many periods there are in a week, but if it's 25, then you are entitled to 5 PPA across the fortnight. I'm also not quite clear whether that's 3 PPA plus a meeting or 3 PPA of which one is a meeting. If you've got your 5 PPA clear, you've nothing to complain about. If the meeting is stopping you getting your 5 PPA, they may say that it's your choice to have it, and that you can do without it if you prefer. It's presumably already costing them an hour of the mentor's time.

3. harshipper88

harshipper88 New commenter

Hi there, sorry I tried to upload a pic and it failed.

6 periods a day 50 mins each, so 30 a week.

It is 3 PPA, and a meeting period (then the extra T&L the other week).

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Upload a picture of what? If it's your timetable, it could identify you. 3 PPA a week is the minimum entitled on 30 periods.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

3 PPA in a 30 period week is your 10%

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I think the school is NOT pulling a fast one - it looks like you have 3 PPA a week, another hour per week for meeting and in week 2, another hour for 'cover'. So, it's 4 hours 1 week and 5 hours in week 2. Very reasonable! [Plus with 'cover', you should be able to get onto your own thing once attendance is done and the students given the task, even marking books or organising yourself is doable].

best wishes

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Be careful on any of the fora of identifying yourself. I don't think there are many Australian English teachers in Surrey who have been asked to teach history and have just finished an NQT year. Very easily identifiable.

A bit of googling as well would have given you your answer. They are giving you more than the statutory requirement. Not sure what you expect to get?