1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

timespan between verbal job offer and offer letter?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Teacher_Francais, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Teacher_Francais

Teacher_Francais New commenter

Hello,

As the questions says....

cheers

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

On occasion, a Head makes the offer at the end of the interviews, on the premises, and 5 minutes later brings in the offer letter, in two copies, one of which the successful candidate signs there and then to accept.

I know because i have done it myself on occasion!

But it could be ages if there's a half term in between, or Ofsted suddenly turns up, or they are just a bit casual about that sort of thing.

If you are concerned about this, then write and accept their verbal offer. Which has, of course, contractual force anyway, you don't need it in writing, but it is not open to easy proof. . .

So write to confirm, something along these lines. E-mail to Head, CC Secretary - you surely have a couple of e-mail addresses for them?

Dear Dr Brown

Full-time permanent post of Teacher of Geography

I am writing to confirm my acceptance of the offer made to me on the telephone by Mrs Green, Head of Department for Geography, on the evening of Thursday 28 January.

She offered and I accepted during that conversation the full-time permanent post of Teacher of Geography in Happylands School, beginning on 12th April 2016, at a starting salary of £XXX.

I would be pleased to receive a written copy of this offer for my records, plus any other paperwork that I should fill in and return to you prior to the beginning of my employment.

I look forward to joining your school and contributing to its continuing success.

Yours sincerely,

Ann Teacher

Now obviously don't go accepting a full-time permanent post if it was a fixed-term one, or a part-time position.

If it is part time, then say the agreed percentage: She offered and I accepted during that conversation the permanent part-time (0.75) post of Teacher of Geography in Happylands School, beginning on 12th April 2016, at a starting salary of £XXX., pro-rata.

Have you read all this:

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

Got a job offer? What to do next!

Get yourself organised

When should you get your contract?

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Teacher_Francais likes this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A verbal offer of a post is legally binding and the contract is in place from the point you accept. It should be followed up by a written letter and usually later the full official contract is sent including terms and conditions of service etc. A lot depends on the efficiency of the school's HR function.

Teacher_Francais likes this.
  4. Teacher_Francais

Teacher_Francais New commenter

Thank you all!! Another quick question...My new post starts in September, however, at the moment, I am doing supply work, but the new school has asked for a P45. I still want to continue with the supply work up until May...if I give the P45 to the school, does that mean I cant continue with supply work? If that's the case, would it be reasonable for me to talk to school about giving them the P45 at a later date?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have absolutely no idea about the P45 - why not ask the school?

Good luck!