1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Times tables - up to 10 or 12?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dowager_countess, Mar 12, 2011.

1. I've always been under the impression that the children need to be taught and learn the times tables up to 10x10, mainly because that is one of the strands on maths APP. "Know multiplication facts up to 10x10".

However, I've been reading an Ofsted report of a school nearby and on there they have made some suggestions about how the school can improve, one says "Improve basic numeracy by teaching children their times tables up to 12 by the end of Year 4"

What do you do? What do you think? What are the reasons for going up to 12x12?

Any ideas welcome, thanks!

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

Most of my Y2 class know their 2-12X tables and that 15x is 10X plus 5X and that 20X is 2X with a zero

Apologies if I have misunderstood but I hope you do not tell children to add a zero when multiplying by 10. This can mess them up when multiplying decimals later on.

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Msz, how have you got so incredibly far with tables with the majority of your year 2 class? What are your tricks?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We sing every morning ... then the challenge is to answer 50 questions in 5 mins correctly.
    When we started the plan was to learn 2,5 & 10 but they are keen to learn them all so once they can answer 50 questions on the times table in 5 mins they can pick a new one to learn. Some are now doing 60 division questions too.
    and dare I say it ...as a school we do Big Maths [​IMG]

5. mystery10

It sounds fantastic.

6. Msz

It's interesting that when faced with mixed calculations they all do the multiplications first ...

7. mystery10

I think multiplication is appealing because it is novel and seems a very grown up thing to do at that age. They've been messing round with addition and subtraction in some way for many many years (it must seem like that to them by that age) and it holds no excitement any more. The music probably helps too.
    Makes you wonder if it would be worth teaching addition and subtraction by the same method much earlier (or maybe you do at your school).

8. Msz

Yes we do teach addition the same way and teach subtraction is the inverse so if they know addition facts they can do subtraction ...