1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Times Tables Tests

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tinks26, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hi. I was hoping that someone might be able to help!
    How do people organise and administer times table learning and testing? Formally with learning for homework then a test each week? Are all children working on the same table? or is it differentiated - if so how is this organised logistically?!
    I haven't taught maths for a while, and am at a loss with how to organise this within my class. I need to start it from scratch!
    Any comments or advice would be gratefully recieved!!!
    Happy New Year!
    Tinks26

2. I dont differentiate it.
    Every Mon they get a set x table. Every Fri tested.
    When we have done them all we revise them again- this time in groups so x2 and x4, x5 and x10 etc.
    When we have completed another round we start again but this time all related facts
    Then when thats done I give them 3 sets to revise a week etc.
    Its EVERY week and set homework. I give one at same time as sp test and in addition to weekly mental maths test.
    Def works

3. I give out one lot per week as homework on a Friday and then test the following Thursday. Differentiation is through the questioning - my LA are tested by the TA and she asks questions like, "How many threes in 9?" while my MA and HA are tested together by me and I ask things like "the product of what and 3 makes 9?" I also ask the questions out of order.

I started off with 2, then 3,4,5.... now they've done them all, I'm going to revisit the trickier ones a week at a time, in no particular order.
    I've had quite a few complaints from parents about times tables... most of them want their children to be tested with the facts in order, and only by asking, "What is 1 times 2? ... What is 2 times 2?...... what is 3 times 2?..." I think that's how they must have done it before in school, but the pupils have absolutely no quick recall ability.

4. Thank you both for your comments - very useful!!!
    I would love to hear of anyone else's methods too... :)

5. I do a random test once a week/fortnight up to 10x10, they write the question and answer and then mark them afterwards using calculators. Also do a lot of starters with quick mini quizzes etc. The only differentiation is that my BA go out and do the same test but only using some of the x tables. This is Year 4/5, first time I have done it this way and the kids enjoy it oddly and it does seem to work.

6. I test my Y3 class individually every Friday. We started with the x10 table, then those that knew that (when I say 'knew', I mean could stand up in class and recite it and answer three random x10 questions promptly) moved on to the x2, then x5, then x3 and so on. If they show they know their table, they get a certificate and a copy of the next table to learn for the next week. Those that get to the end of all the tables are then told to revise three of my choice to be tested on the next week. That continues until all have been covered again. When they can do that, I ask them to revise three tables again and I ask them random division questions. Then that continues until all have been covered. Hope that's clear! The children do look forward to this.

7. I test my Y3 class individually every Friday. We started with the x10 table, then those that knew that (when I say 'knew', I mean could stand up in class and recite it and answer three random x10 questions promptly) moved on to the x2, then x5, then x3 and so on. If they show they know their table, they get a certificate and a copy of the next table to learn for the next week. Those that get to the end of all the tables are then told to revise three of my choice to be tested on the next week. That continues until all have been covered again. When they can do that, I ask them to revise three tables again and I ask them random division questions. Then that continues until all have been covered. Hope that's clear! The children do look forward to this. [​IMG]

8. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I have a weekly x table challenge. On a sheet it has all the x tables (45 in total, as I only but 3 x 4 as the kids know this is the same answer as 4 x 3) They then have 2 min to complete as much as they can. Each week their challenge is to beat their score by at least 1 point. If they get them all in 2 min their aim is to beat their time. All children then have a challenge.
    After the challenge we then pick a x table as a class we are going to work on and throughout the week I refer to it ( as well as its division facts). Children love the competition element of it and even my lower ability children enjoy it as they see themselves improving each week