1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Times tables help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Advice for teaching these would be REALLY appreciated! With all my long TPs being in upper KS2, I've never seen them being taught, only reinforced with games. I've been using videos of x-tables songs and game. Some of them are great on them and others insist on adding instead of multiplying! Is the only way to hammer it across and test them to pressurise them to memorise it? Would be really, really grateful to hear how any of you do it x

2. Advice for teaching these would be REALLY appreciated! With all my long TPs being in upper KS2, I've never seen them being taught, only reinforced with games. I've been using videos of x-tables songs and game. Some of them are great on them and others insist on adding instead of multiplying! Is the only way to hammer it across and test them to pressurise them to memorise it? Would be really, really grateful to hear how any of you do it x

3. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

They should have already done the prep stuff like arrays etc. Chanting and spot tests every day works really well, but do a bit of a challenge and using ict try a program called Sumdog. It's free and you can set challenges for any table up to 13. They practice by playing a wide range of games. If they really persist in thinking x is + get them to highlight the sign.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Oooh - even better!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I use a counting stick with bright post it notes for the numbers to practise counting up and back over and over. Only once they are familiar and secure with counting up and back do we move on.

Then I use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Funky-Times-Tables/dp/1905509669/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332442589&sr=8-2
    Bought ages ago when it was much cheaper, sorry.

Then I use bead strings to show 'groups of'.

Then we count up and back, but as number sentences. (one times 3 is three kind of thing)

Then I start to ask how many threes make 27 and the like, with the counting stick in front of me so they work it out. And then ask things like what are seven threes.

They seem to learn their tables this way and can use the facts in work. I've never done a tables test with year 2 so far and they are perfect at 2s, 5s and 10s and nearly there with 3s (the one we are working on at the moment).

7. Hi! Thanks so much for your ideas and links. Will have a look at getting itunes on my school laptop tomorrow so I can check out your suggestions. It seems to get rapturous reviews so must be worth a go!
    Minnie, as ever, thank you. Getting them to count up and down and THEN introducing it as the # sentence and THEN getting them to answer random Qs (without counting up) really makes sense. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw 7 x 3 = 6 (you can't even fathom the logic there!) in somebody's book but did feel better when I spoke to one of the other Y3 teachers who says hers are still as clueless! I don't want to test them...!
    xxx

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't really expect year 2 to NOT count up to work out their timestables.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I expect instant recall of random multiplication and division facts

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

*smiles* Soooooo there we go, polar opposites! Like many things in education, do whatever feels best for you and your class.