1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Times tables chanting... what was that CD?!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by inarticulategenius, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    I visited a class for a morning, and they were chanting tables. It was a bit like...

Teacher "I say 3"
    Class "You say 4"

It had a really good beat to it, no idea what it was though!
    Thanks for your help :)

2. Hi guys,
    I visited a class for a morning, and they were chanting tables. It was a bit like...

Teacher "I say 3"
    Class "You say 4"

It had a really good beat to it, no idea what it was though!
    Thanks for your help :)

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I prefer prayer beads. More easily portable.

4. What are those? Thanks

5. Vince is taking the pee

you may have more luck on Primary

6. Chanting tables is so old hat. I was taught by that method in the early fifties! Sure, it does work eventually (I became a maths teacher, so there must be something in it), but it takes such a long time as mostly children are chanting what they already know.
    Much better is to focus on the multiplication facts they don't know and there is a great scheme for doing this where you can download a parent handbook and student workbook. Just Google timestables4u.
    Good luck.

7. i like both - taught my own 2 with a mixture of chanting and japanese number squares
    there are scads out there - just google

8. Oh I definitely agree with you.

It was just this class were really excited by it, and it was modern, with a bit of a rap. Much better than chanting tables in the usually way.

9. my daughter loved percy Parker, but that's not so much chanting as quite good songs, about cows and bees, and their times tables

10. rolls

rolls New commenter

Percy Parker's times tables are very popular with children but as the previous writer said these are more songs www.percyparker.com.
    are good as are their Maths Raps for older learners which get pupils rapping about all kinds of things they need to memorise (triangles, square numbers, fractions to name a few.)[/URL]
    But it might have been one of the Number Fun resources you heard www.numberfun.co.uk
    All of the above don't get pupils to chant as such, which can be tedious, but use rhyme, action and song to enhance memory.

11. As is a child who can manipulate number
    As is a GCSE paper that doesnt look like a 4-6 SATs paper
    As is a class of A level students who should really be there......................

12. ^ ^ what he said ^ ^

13. Chanting does seem very old hat, I can see the importance in memorising tables but there must be a better way of doing it. I think singing a tables song would be good.[​IMG]