1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Times tables activity: Looking for trial classrooms

Discussion in 'Primary' started by prathap4, Nov 11, 2015.

1. prathap4

prathap4 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I'm a game developer and a volunteer Maths tutor in a primary school in London. We have built a times tables game that we play on the interactive whiteboard or on tablets. We have found good results so far in our school, and we now want to see if its useful for other teachers too.

Would anyone be willing to give it a go and tell me what you think? Here's a summary of what we've done so far: http://blog.mathscraft.com/our-work-so-far/

If interested, please let me know, and we can discuss further.

Thank you!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

As you have posted an identical thread on Mathematics so I'm going to reply identically here.

There are a number of questions you should answer before any school can consider inviting your commercial venture to test its product with its children, for whom and whose education it has a duty of care:
    1. Are you a Partnership or a Private Limited Company?
    2. Are you each in possession of Enhanced DBS Clearance?
    3. What formal qualifications have you in Mathematics, in Mathematics Education and in Primary Education?
    4. Are you partnered with any university or are you members of any Mathematics organisations?
    5. Do you work to any research ethics or professional code of conduct?
    6. What has research at your own school revealed about your product?
    7. How much money do you expect to make from your game and what share of it will be given to your partner schools?

3. prathap4

prathap4 New commenter

Thanks Vince. I'm repeating my response here:

1. We are private limited company, backed by Bethnal Green Ventures, a Social Impact accelerator
    2. Yes.
    3. I don't have formal qualification in primary education. My Masters is on Learning Technology & Society at the University of Bristol, and my thesis was on Games based learning. I have been a volunteer Maths tutor in a primary school for a year now, and I teach Maths for year 3's and year 6's everyday.
    4. We are supported by Dartington Social Research Unit to evaluate evidence of impact. On a not directly related note, we just worked with MEI to build their game Sumaze! which we released last month
    5. Thanks for bringing this up - I will read up more on this, and how I can apply it to our trials
    6. We have had great engagement from students (Please have a look at the link I have posted, it should not take more than 2 minutes of your time). As for educational outcomes, it's too early to establish quantitative results. We have observed our children improving on their times tables though. We are conducting a pre-test and post-test to create some evidence for this. However, we're aware that the data sample is too small to draw any conclusions.
    7. At the moment, our product is free. The honest answer for this question is: I don't know. My objective at this point is to establish what we have is indeed useful for teachers. Once we get there, I'll have to talk to schools to find out what would be a fair price for what we build. The least I can promise is that our games will be available for free for our partner schools.

Is there anything else I can do to make this a fair proposal?

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter