1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Times newspaper...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

...subscription.

Hubs had one and I didn't want it so advised them and cancelled the £26 per month direct debit. The initial phone call was difficult as it was a young person and after back and forth conversations I was brutal and I ended up telling her that he was dead so why would he want further help plus more subscriptions.

Since had two letters about the non payment of subscriptions - I ignored the first but got the second one today.

I rang and it has been sorted but not before I had to get quite brusque.

It seems that if it's out of the ordinary then it causes problems. Not that this is out of the ordinary!

Rant over!

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Really sorry to read that you have had to go through this.

Perhaps a letter of complaint when you feel up to it.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry to read of your troubles Marshall... can't have been easy.

Jamvic and Marshall like this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It just adds aggravation and distress to grief, so sorry for you.

When my son committed suicide, we set up a scholarship fund in his name in the University where he was an Associate Professor. Three months later we started getting letters from the University Library about fines for his overdue books which, as we explained, had to be destroyed as soaked in blood. That took a lot of stopping too.

Best wishes

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I had some similar problems after the death of my mother. These companies do not seem to be geared up to it, and many want proof in the form of a death certificate, which I did not send. I do not see why the likes of them need a death certificate.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You have my deepest sympathies.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What an awful story. Sadly so typical of how large organisations deal with bereaved people. We'd all want to be angry with the person who sent out letters like that but we know really it isn't their fault personally, no-one had told them so how would they know?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Jamvic, Marshall and TheoGriff like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sadly all too common. A very close friend of mine died and I was her Executor. Her credit cards had gone missing so I called to cancel them. The call centre operator at Barclaycard told me 5 times that I had to get the cardholder to come to the phone and give the call centre permission to talk to me :rolleyes: Until I shouted 'which bit of "dead" don't you understand?" and got transferred to a supervisor.

Banks and some other large organisations have set up dedicated national 'Bereavement Departments'. You send them the death certificate and they sort it all out internally, you don't have to deal with the local branches where the accounts were, and they understand both the legal/admin side as well as the emotional feelings of whoever is reporting the death. You don't have to deal with lots of different bits of the bank. In the 3 times I have been Executor I have found these central departments always very good.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

It is distressing to experience this when someone has died.

I had a problem ending a Times subscription a few years ago and had to speak to a supervisor who was marginally more helpful and it was eventually ended after quite a battle.

When my brother-in-law died my brother asked me to call a local car dealership regarding selling his car. The salesman I spoke to guffawed when I explained what had happened and why we were selling it and clearly thought it was just a line. I was only in my 20s and it was really distressing to get this response.

So sorry to hear that @TheoGriff.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

:(
    :eek:
    :mad:
    and
    :(

Marshall and TheoGriff like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sorry to hear such things are still happening.

I too have dealt with relatives estates after their death, the big things tended to be very easy to address, but every time there were small trivial things like this with robustly-**** systems that took an age to get through with multiple contacts.

In fact in the case of my father, the last time I did it, there were two where I just ignored them after his house had new tenants. I redirected his mail to me but otherwise didn't leave a forwarding address after the redirection period was over.

12. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Thanks everyone - I wasn't distressed, just very annoyed that the first young person didn't seem to understand what death was.

I won't complain- nothing will happen.

Jamvic and TheoGriff like this.
  13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Theo, that stopped me in my tracks. Took my breath away. So sorry.

It was around this time of year, if I remember rightly.

14. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Theo - I didn't know - there are no words:(

I did wonder why you no longer posted - that explains it. xxx

Jamvic likes this.
  15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

So sorry to everyone who has had difficulties with this. I last dealt with such things earlier this year and I also found large institutions like banks and energy companies transferred you to a special bereavement department where you were spoken to in a helpful (special) voice. I agree, a Bank got a death certificate but I thought minor subscriptions etc would have to take my word for it. I didn’t leave them a forwarding address.

So sorry, Theo.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Having read posts 1 and 4 l am staggered by the thoughtless attitude of the respective organisations. Actually not just staggered - horrified. And appalled. For once words fail me.

18. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

My ‘likes’ for posts 1 and 4 are sympathy likes by the way. Terribly tactless and distressing situations.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

When I read of what other people have to contend with in their lives I feel humbled and incredibly lucky. Can I pay tribute to those people who have experienced such awful things, but still have the goodness and humanity to write about them in order to help others suffering likewise? You are truly great people.

20. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

There is a stark contrast between companies who have systems and staff in place to deal specifically with bereavement and those who have no idea of the stress it causes. Here's hoping you don't have any more negative encounters, Marshall.

This did remind me of a very awkward visit to my newish dentist though. With my two children in tow, he asked me in a laughing and joking kind of way if I'd cancelled my previous appointment because I 'just didn't fancy it'. I wrestled with a reply in my head before blurting out that my dad and husband had died within a month of each other and that my appointment didn't seem important at the time. He sobered up real quick and I felt awful. Hopefully he learned a lesson that day.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you, Theo x

Jamvic likes this.