1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time to think about baby names - what do you think of them?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by puddle, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I know that if I like them thats the most important thing but I cant talk to real life people about names because I want them to be secret until the day baby comes and I need to talk!
    I seem to like quite popular names (grrr) but if I like them I like them. I was always one of 3 or 4 in my classes growing up and never minded at all.
    For girls I like:
    Holly
    Emily (Emmie)
    Matilda
    Olive (although this was brought up in conversation by friends recently and they mocked it a lot!)
    Imogen
    For boys:
    Finley (Fin)
    Oscar
    Thomas (Tom)
    I think its between Holly and Emily for a girl, and Finley is top contender for a boy. Love Oscar but dont like Oz/Ozzie as nickname.
    What do you think? Do any of you like these names and have any to suggest?
    Its hard naming a real person!!

2. I'm only 6 weeks but so far we're thinking Elsie for a girl and Lucas for a boy.Plenty of time to change our minds though! I adore the name Oscar but my mum's blimmin cat was called Oscar so we can't, haha!

3. handrail

handrail New commenter

I agree, it's very hard naming a real person...
    From your list I love Emily (Emmie) and Imogen (Immie) - both favourites of mine for girls. I couldn't pick a girls name when I was pregnant, good job I had a boy!
    I used to like the name Oscar but have gone off it a little lately. I think I like Thomas the best - it's cute and Tom for short is lovely for when they are older. Other boys names we liked were William, Matthew and Joshua.

4. handrail

handrail New commenter

Meant to add - my friend's little girl is called Matilda and gets called Tilly which is nice x

5. If I ever have another kid, I'll be keeping it's name to myself. The feeling of my crest falling when people make a face at cherished baby names I like is too off-putting.

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

You also might find, when the baby is born, that the name you had picked just doesn't 'go' and another name does. Ours has a name that I'd never have thought I'd use, and it's beautiful- and suits her.

7. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

I thought of Olive as it was my gran's name. But we have settled on Beth Louise - assuming she is still a she when she comes out!

8. In our current year 1 cohort there are 3 Hollys and 3 Emilys but luckily they are all wonderful, bright and beautiful girls :) I like both names. I struggle to find boys' names that I like. Coffee- we didn't tell anyone our girl's name til she was born. One of my friends has just had her 20 week scan and announced the girl's name on facebook- people are ALREADY making jokes about it! How awful!

9. We had a shortlist for names and my OH told a lot of people which I didn't appreciate. I think if I knew the sex I would probably be more inclined to keep the name to myself.
    It's funny that since having our baby boy I'm kind of going off the name we picked for a girl.
    Oh, and I love the name imogen.

10. What's the name? :p

11. Polly! (polythene, polypropene (sp) put the kettle on....)

12. I don't generally like popular names "top 20" types, I believe it shows a lack of imagination, but I know lots of people disagree with me!
    From the list you suggested I'd vote for Matilda and Imogen, far rarer than the other ones and I prefer Oscar for the boy, I find Thomas really bland (sorry!).
    The names I've chosen for Mini me are rare and original without being silly, if you see what I mean.

13. Please share!

14. Share froggy... i'm intrigued!

15. I am one of the people that disagrees with this- if you like the name, you like it! You might want a classic or timeless name like Thomas or Katie or Emily, whether unimaginative or not. I have a really drippy Imogen in my class, and don't like the nickname Immy, so no can do with that one! Love Matilda- Tilly for short- but when I suggested that to my mum she laughed at it! :-( Therefore not telling anyone in real life what names I like. This time I don't know if I'm having a boy or girl and will be excited having two shortlists instead of one!

16. For a boy we've chosen Marius but I won't reveal the girl's name (only clue is that it's a Celtic name).

17. Love it!
    Marius is one of my top 2 names for boys but DH said absolutely no way. Sadly he hates my other top 2 name as well!
    I'm not even pregnant yet so I am desperately hoping that I'll be able to talk him around by the time I have a baby (if I do...)

18. I convinced mine once I got pregnant, I think before that it wasn't real enough for him!

19. Hi all
    I'm due in just under two weeks, so the name thing has really kicked off here. Only problem is, we really can't agree at all. I like Irish names, but OH wants to name after a relative (I don't, as I think it would offend the others...) Is it silly to hope that after the hours of pushing, screaming, and bleeding, I'll get my way?!