1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time to strike back against the bully

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by iconoclastic, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Some of us are prepared to stand up in public and name and shame bullying SLT or Heads of Dept - you can help us build a compelling corpus of cases of incontrovertible abuses of power in the workplace. Please pm with any offers to add to the cases - especially if your experiences can be corroborated.Anonymity is respected of course, but I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who has retired or left teaching and therefore not beholden to anyone in teaching!

2. Some of us are prepared to stand up in public and name and shame bullying SLT or Heads of Dept - you can help us build a compelling corpus of cases of incontrovertible abuses of power in the workplace. Please pm with any offers to add to the cases - especially if your experiences can be corroborated.Anonymity is respected of course, but I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who has retired or left teaching and therefore not beholden to anyone in teaching!

3. Be careful with this. I would recommend doing this through your union than a public web-board.

4. Please be assured these concerns have been recognised. Of course there will be disaffected teachers and weak teachers claiming to be victims of bullying - but it's the overwhelming repetitive patterns that disclose the worst offenders, which is precisely what is being sought here - corroborated evidence of a high evidential standard. And if I thought the unions could do something then it would have happened by now. Too many bullies have assumed they can exercise their nefarious weaknesses behind closed doors: the evidence is building and it won't be too long before the worst offenders will have their day in court. As will we. Not for the faint hearted of course - which is what most bullies are. Too many teachers have lived their professional lives in dread fear for everyone else to stay quiet any longer. Tick tock....

5. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

WOW! What a generalisation! I am disappointed by your comments. Have you got evidence? Be careful that halo doesnt slip down and strangle you.

6. Read the forums if you're that interested, I've got better things to do than find you one of the many examples of somebody posting about being bullied without the evidence you demand of me, followed by other posters advising them to go off on the sick or criticising an entire SLT they've never met for being bullies on the basis of comments from one anonymous poster. That, given the effect staff being on long term sick can have on students, demonstrates some messed up priorities.

7. I can only speak from personal experience, but in my case my grievances against the school were that they were preventing me from doing what was best for the children in my class due to their poor management and bullying strategies. I most certainly was not claiming to be bullied to disctract from my incompetence - I was achieving good lesson observations throughout this. Making such sweeping judgments without evidence, possibly based on only one incident you have experienced, can be very hurtful to others and I would hope you would think again before posting next time.

8. Not being funny, but you're making a few assumptions there your sanctimonious self. My "evidence" is personal experience of years teaching in a wide range of schools and the comments that you can find for yourself on this board. Nowhere have I said that nobody is bullied, merely that more people, in my experience, claim to be bullied than are bullies, and that these forums often descend into irresponsible, mass-hysteria style encouragement of inappropriate responses to problems at work by people who often appear to be so utterly self centred, it beggars belief.

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

May I invite you to provide sources for your comment?

10. No, because unlike those who have been tragicaly bullied out of their jobs and therefore have time to spend hours on the internet, I have work to do. If anybody is interested enough, they can look through some of the threads about workplace bullying themselves and reach their own conclusions. I have seen around three, I think, fairly recently that have included specific advocacy of going off sick as a response to workplace problems. If you don't believe this is the case, then that's your prerogative. It is the case, and like I say, if anybody is that bothered/has the time, they can take a look.

11. Stevieman it is against the terms and conditions of the board to name individual schools. I suggest you edit your post to remove it.

12. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Good point. Why is that the words "support" and its close relative "intervention" are good things when applied to pupils but very very bad when inflicted on teachers?

13. i have suffered for 10 years from the effects of being bullied. i was a successful teacher for 22 years before i was forced to resign. i got on with all the head teachers and other teachers i worked with in all that time, had good feedback from observations and was happy until this woman became head. she bullied me for three years and NO ONE would do anything to stop it, even though i asked. i lived and breathed my job and i was good at it. my results showed that. and i am not, nor have i ever been, self-centred.

14. I believe many schools/local authorities have signed up to the concept of dignity at work and have the policies to prove it.

Sadly it has been my experience that these policies are not worth the paper they are printed on.

It often strikes me as odd that had my bully assaulted me causing physical injury she would have been on criminal charges and out on her ear immediately and although shocked I would probably have recovered by now. However, by causing me serious and lasting psychological injury she apparently gets away with it.

15. That is almost exactly the words used by both my GP and the OH doctor I've been seeing. They are both shocked that these things go on and can't work out why nothing is done.
    It all adds to the feelings of despair and helplessness and, IMO, means that the bullying behaviour goes right to the top because it is effectively sanctioned by HTs. Governors, LEAs and, ultimately, the Government.
    My GP and OH doctors have both said, though, that psychological, emotional and mental damage is still and injury and have given me various bits of advice to support any potential claim for damages.

16. I quite agree. I have reports from my GP, two OH docs, two clinical psychologists, a psychotherapist and a partridge in a pear tree all of whom are shocked not just by what has happened to me but that the local authority appear to condone it and in this instance they are not closing ranks and protecting a head teacher. The question I am left with is whether I have the mental strength to fight for the justice I , and many others, believe I deserve.

17. There are people who have resolved to fight. Could we not make a petition and take it to Michael Gove? Let the public know that this issue is seriously affecting too many professional people?

18. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Do you seriously think that Michael Gove gives a flying....... ??????

19. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

In my personal experience - yes, Michael Gove does indeed take the issue of workplace bullying in education seriously. Towards the end of last year, he worked with my local Member of Parliament (another Cabinet member) to ensure that complaints of bullying made directly to the new regulator (the Teaching Agency) would be investigated rigorously and transparently.
    It was always possible, in theory, for complaints of misconduct, which included bullying, could be made directly to the GTC(E), where local grievance procedures had been inadequate. Unfortunately, the GTC proved to be open to the influence of employers, who could successfully put pressure on the GTC to quietly drop direct complaints. I experienced just this, to the extent that the GTC was willing to ignore its own investigative procedures to 'drop' complaints, at the specific behest of a local authority's legal department.
    Michael Gove has undertaken to ensure this cannot happen again. He has had the specific details of my experience, which he is being used to use to train officers and members of investigating panels at the Teaching Agency. My own MP is also acutely aware of the high incidence of workplace bullying in teaching. Their influence extends only to creating or amending law in the form of statutes or regulations. Miracles fall outside their job description. There is already adequate legislation in place to effectively challenge workplace bullying, either in employment law or harassment law. There is no point pressurising them to create further anti-bullying legislation when unions do not support their members by using it.

20. Hey, Che - Chill